Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows starts with black screen  (Read 4356 times)

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Windows starts with black screen
    « on: June 02, 2017, 09:52:28 PM »
    How's it going! A couple nights ago windows 10 was installing updates I walked away expecting it too shut down properly only to come back to the same screen "preparing updates, pleas don't turn off your computer" I sat their a little longer, before doing a hard reset because obviously nothing was getting done.

Fast forward a couple of days I boot my computer and windows boots into a black screen, I then hard reset again and windows boots up fine and gives me the login screen. Now everytime I do a regular shutdown and then boot back into windows I get a black screen  ???, but when I hard reset it boots up fine.

So I decided to reset windows, as I'm sitting through the windows reset it says "there was a problem resetting your pc" so now I'm confused as to what to do! I have the windows OEM disk can I do a clean reinstall with that? Obviously my windows install must be corrupted right?

EDIT: The problem seems to be very "flaky" now I booted up the computer and all of a sudden it went to a blackscreen and my monitor shut off. Then I rebooted it again several times in a row and the windows login screen came up several times in a row. I'm so confused!
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:53:22 PM by Wefro_froyas »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows starts with black screen
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 06:47:16 AM »
    What make/model computer or computer specs if custom build? And have you updated the display driver for video card?

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »
      Hello! It isn't a prebuilt I built it myself

MOBO: Msi h81m-p33
      CPU: i5-4460
      GPU: Nvidia gtx 1060
      1 250 GB ssd drive

The video driver is the latest driver

EDIT: is it possible that theirs a problem with my sleep settings in my MOBO? everytime I wake my PC from sleep I have to press the power button ???

Natureguy04

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 02:22:24 AM »
        I have a very similar problem. But my computer goes to a black screen no matter what I try. I've powered it off several times. This is very concerning.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
          Ok, So I reinstalled windows 10 i'm trying to rule out that their are any OS corruption issues..
          Now when I start my computer I've never noticed this before but it's kind of strange, the bios screen flashes
          twice and then the windows loading icon is on the bios screen before it boots into windows which I find quite odd.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
          Replace CMOS battery.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
            Well I don't see how that's going to fix my issue, I just replaced it with a spare I had. And the issue still persists, should I worry about it? It's just weird that something like that would change just after reinstalling windows.