Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't restore English after Japanese-character attempt | Illegible "boxes" only  (Read 4506 times)

thor2k

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I do not know how to accurately but simply describe my problem other than in the subject line.

Running Windows 7 on a Lenovo X220 laptop.

Attempted to install Japanese language screen/keyboard in "locale" portion of Control Panel.

Stopped midway when only "block characters" (unreadable "Unicode"?) appeared on Windows screens. Everything is fine (and in English) once into an app, but I can't access the exact part of Windows Control Panel to try and unwind this failed installation.

I have viewed perhaps 30+ posts or videos that purport to help, but all rely on being able to understand the Control Panel prompts!

I do not want to do an entire Windows re-install.

Help!

Jay

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Interrupting was a bad idea...re-install from scratch after a cold boot...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thor2k

Topic Starter

Starter

Uh, cannot start from scratch as the relevant captions/prompts are not readable.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Images of Control Panel in Windows 7
      https://www.google.com/search?q=image+of+windows+7+control+panel&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLoqna9qfUAhUEwWMKHVdYBb4Q7AkITA&biw=725&bih=301
      Here is one:

Notice third column, third up from bottom is the language area. Maybe you can try that. The icons will help you identify an item.

thor2k

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks, "Geek" for the time and thinking in posting that image.

I did find the icon but the "English" option is way down the list of possible languages (it looks like 20-30 down the list) on another well-behaving computer, but the black blocks remain.

Even if I had the patience (and record-keeping) to select and click "Apply" thirty times, with reboots, I am not optimistic.

I suspect the solution may be to "push" a value to the registry . . . or find an "ini" file to tweak?

Thanks!

thor2k

Topic Starter

Starter

This approach looks promising but likely over my head to execute:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ie/goglobal/bb964650(en-us).aspx

(command line control of Region/Language settings)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          If that does not work, consider system restore.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PelCQxOj6tE
          Also:
          http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-System-Restore
          System Restore is a powerful tool that allows you to revert Windows to a recent point when everything was working fine
          Open the command prompt. Reboot your computer and load the Advanced Startup menu. You can access this by pressing the F8 key as your computer boots up. Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” from the list of options. You will be taken to a DOS-style command prompt.
              For more details on starting in Safe Mode, see this article.
              This method is for Windows 7, Vista, and XP. Windows 8 users should refer to the next section.
              If you can’t access the Advanced Startup menu, insert your installation disc and boot from it. Select “Repair your computer” and then select “System Restore”.