Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The Freedom to Cheat and Steal.  (Read 2987 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The Freedom to Cheat and Steal.
« on: June 11, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
Hey,  this is  off topic.   :)
The Internet makes it easy to Cheat and Steal. Some of these even claim they have the Freedom to do just that.
Here is a link I believe is credible. It tells of one man's ex[experience with a company that offers Internet 4G service st a fraction of the normal cost. And the even give ;you a phone number.
https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/23/a-year-with-freedompop-how-did-it-go/
About a year ago, I wrote about FreedomPop's new data service and shortly thereafter signed up for an account. I opted into the Free 500 MB plan, which offers half a gig of data per month, with additional data available at US$20/gigabyte billed in $2 increments.
Scam? Fraud? Hard to say. He kept the service for a year and reports that it did work. However, the claims made in the advertising are rather extreme.  Please read over the link above and tell me what your opinion about the marketing methods use by that company.    :-\       

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: The Freedom to Cheat and Steal.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
In what way is Freedom Pop cheating or Stealing?  Seems to me, they deliver EXACTLY what they claim to deliver.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
In what way is Freedom Pop cheating or Stealing?  Seems to me, they deliver EXACTLY what they claim to deliver.
Thank you, strollin
Granted the service Freedom pop offers is very low cost compared to almost anything else.

The advertising uses the word Free a lot. This leads some simple fold to think it is free. I am that way. When I see the word 'free' I think it must be free.

From the article, one has to pay a deposit of about $28 on the device and thne opt out of the premium plan. The you get a 'free' plan will cost about $8 per month over a time span of one year. Put another way, you pay at the start and ten after taht it will be free if you stay below the 'free' use level.

Only after reading the article above did that become apparent. And it took the author  year to find out. In my way of thinking, you should not have to wait a year to understand what  kind of contract our have.

Must be that my way of thinking is out-of-date. Yet in other areas government regulators come down hard on advertisers that make claims the confuse or do not clearly represent the true cost of a product or service. So maybe the Internet is an exception. On the Internet is is normal to mislead people. Especially if you have a service that is remarkable.  If you  service is outstanding,  go ahead and cheat and steal a little bit. Come to think of it, is that not the the same kind of thinking Microsoft uses?  ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »
From the article, one has to pay a deposit of about $28 on the device and thne opt out of the premium plan. The you get a 'free' plan will cost about $8 per month over a time span of one year. Put another way, you pay at the start and ten after taht it will be free if you stay below the 'free' use level.

The Deposit only applies if you get their equipment. If you switch your existing smartphone/device to their service there is no direct cost as far as I can tell.

There are a lot of things I've already found that seem to address the authors problems. It is possible to have access simply cut off when you reach the limit of the free plan, for example.

The service is largely "Freemium". Saying it is false advertising is like saying it's false advertising when a grocery store has a promotion where any customer can get one free steak- saying "it's not really free" because you can't take two steaks seems to miss the point.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
Geek has had a bee in his bonnet about that Freedom Pop outfit for some time, I think?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:07:07 PM »
His Post priviledges in the News section are close to being revoked...

Check his last 10 Topics...

8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 12:47:20 AM »
Check his last 10 Topics...
100 more like.