Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 16 bit windows subsystem  (Read 6455 times)

jawanda56

16 bit windows subsystem
« on: December 07, 2005, 12:14:25 AM »
I have Intel P4 based desktop set with 2.4ghz processer, 256mb ram(400mhz FSB), 40GB hdd with 4 partitions, onboard video and audio systems, FDD, CD rom drive, and ADSL Broadband. My operating system is WinXP Pro (SP2) and it being updated to latest windows updates. My security centre settings are as per recomendations. Norton Antivirus is with latest upates. The computer is functioning very well for games, internet and other MS Office applications.

I have few applications, such as Typing Tutor 6, Fish screensaver etc, which refuse to start and gives following message:
"16 bit Windows Subsystem: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close to terminate the application".
Even clicking on 'ignore' button, the application does not start.
These application were working normally earlier when OS was installed newly and these application still work OK in the differant partition with OS 'win 2000 pro'.

Please help me...

jawanda56

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: 16 bit windows subsystem
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 01:29:51 AM »
    Go to your c:\windows\repair directory and copy the autoexec.nt file, then paste it into your c:\windows\system32 directory.

jawanda56

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 06:08:23 AM »
    Thanks for the correct advice. Have pasted the file as instructed and the said applications can be started noramally now.

Great help...  

jawanda56  :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:48:22 AM »
    Nice catch, Fed !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "