Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hi all I am pretty much a Newbie to hardware  (Read 10564 times)

KyleElysis

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi all I am pretty much a Newbie to hardware
    « on: June 14, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
         Hi, looking into a new laptop for gaming (mostly emu) and streaming on a bigger screen through hdmi. Is: Laptop PC, 7th-Gen AMD A9-9400 up to 3.2GHz, AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 8GB RAM, 1TB, Windows 10 worth a chance or can direct me into another that is around $500; perhaps cheaper?   I currently have win 10, intel core i3-3227U 1.90ghz, 4gb ram, intel hd graphic 4000. Want something a bit more powerful.  If there is something over $500 I wouldn't mind the suggestion just as long there's something to compare it with for cheaper.

Also, thinking of building a tower/desktop: ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 HDMI DVI USB3.0 H110 MicroATX Motherboard (H110M-A/M.2), Geforce 1050ti, 8gb ddr4 2133 mt/s, 1tb drive. For a bit heavier gaming and photoshop. Not very savvy with inside tech so don't know what it all means. Been wanting to get into AAA games, but not sure yet. Maybe will play those types on laptop with an xbox control if possible too. Computer buying is more stressful than I imagine it to be. Oof, so many questions just so lost.  Thank You.

metalcat3

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Hi all I am pretty much a Newbie to hardware
      « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:09:09 PM »
      Well, I'd suggest waiting. There should be new models with new GPUs and CPUs from Nvidia and AMD
      Currently, there are some options under $600, but they are scarce and not very high quality machines

You have to decide whether it's going to be a desktop or a laptop..

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
      If it comes down to a choice of laptop vs desktop, i would go with desktop for gaming. Better upgrade potential down the road vs a laptop that your locked in with a specific GPU for the life of the computer for 99% of the laptops out there in your budget price range. I have some laptops that I bought that when i bought them they were great, but they fell off the radar of games they can play these days because while the CPU has plenty of power, the GPU fell behind. So I only get about 3 years of gaming out of laptops in your budget range which is what my budget generally is and then newer games or games evolve with greater GPU complexity and the frame rate starts to drop and then eventually its too painful to game on and all temps are ok so not overheating, its just that the GPU is no longer capable of the games that i play. On a desktop you can simply swap or add a video card and get more for your money vs falling prey to lack of upgrade in the future.

When it comes to the games you will be playing, check to see what the minimum and recommended system requirements are for whatever emu games your going to play and try to get a system that is equal to or better than the recommended system requirements. If you get a system that is bare minimum then you will run into requiring an upgrade sooner than later and if its a laptop, this means that the laptop had to be replaced with another which is more costly than having a desktop system and just upgrading a videocard for say $80-$150

stream26

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:14:14 AM »
        Very few prebuilt "gaming" systems are worthy of being called gaming systems - at least not at the low-end. Most of them are heavily imbalanced between CPU and GPU (when they have a discrete GPU at all) and often cut corners on the PSU or elsewhere.

Building a system is really simple. You just need a little bit of common-sense and take your time to triple-check everything if you feel like you have to.