Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asus AC53 Nano wont see 5G  (Read 4823 times)

glathem40

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Bytor_Snowdog
    • Experience: Familiar
    Asus AC53 Nano wont see 5G
    « on: June 18, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »
    Greetings.  I recently purchased an Asus AC53 Nano so I could connect my HP laptop to my 5G network - All was good until the other day my Comcast router crapped and I had to get a replacement now the laptop is only  seeing 2.4.  Google yielded multiple posts with people having the same issue, even a you tube video all suggesting to download the driver from media tech.  Installed the driver via one of the links provided and device mgr said the driver wasnt compatible.  Uninstalled and re-installed latest from Asus - still no go.  Anybody have any experience with this adapter.  Thx for any help you can offer.  (Other devices in the home are connected via the 5G on the new router)
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Asus AC53 Nano wont see 5G
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
    You confuse me with the term '5G network'. Please be careful about terminology.
    You do not have a 5G network.
    Comcast has talked about a 5G network. Just empty talk.

About that adapter. It is not a 5G adapter.
    It can operate on the 5 GHz band.  Which might help. Or not.
    It is overpriced if you buy t for more than $30.  IMO.

What does Comcast say? Do they offer speeds over 54Mbps?

Adapters like the one you bought can be found with Google.
    wifi 801.11ac adapter
    ... will find many under $30.   :)

The 801.11ac adapters are compatible with early 801.11xx  standards.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
    5G in the context they've described obviously means 5Ghz Wifi. Most 5G capable routers have two separate SSIDs; one of which by default ends with "-5G" (eg 2.4Ghz would be ROUTER and the 5Ghz would be ROUTER-5G, therefore it is no surprise that it would be colloquially referred to as a 5G network.

All was good until the other day my Comcast router crapped and I had to get a replacement now the laptop is only  seeing 2.4
    It may be an incompatibility between the new  router and the AC53. Would be necessary to determine that. I've had issues with the 5G access point of my router on some devices that are otherwise 5G capable when I expanded the bandwidth from 20Mhz to 40Mhz- the SSID suddenly is no longer available but the standard 2.4Ghz one is. so perhaps the new router defaults to a wider band, and the AC53 has the same issue. Would need to check it's (the router's) configuration pages to determine that. You might find other options that could affect compatibility there as well.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:56:26 AM »
    Do you have access to the router's settings screen's?  You need to get into the router's settings and see if that router actually supports 5Ghz, whether or not it is enabled and what the ssid and security key is before you have any hope of connecting via 5Ghz.