Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using mouse to choose multiple items - without keyboard  (Read 4056 times)

justbecause

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Using mouse to choose multiple items - without keyboard
    « on: June 20, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »
    I have to use a few third party sites for printing documents.  Sometimes I have to choose several documents at once.

I know I can use CTRL and my mouse to choose several different document lines at once.....

but....is there a way to ONLY use my mouse to choose several different line items at once, without having to use the keyboard?

It would be a huge time saver, as I really need my other hand for scanning pages of documents on my desk.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Using mouse to choose multiple items - without keyboard
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »
    If you have a mouse with extra buttons, you might be able to map an extra button as the CTRL key. I havent done this before, but seen gaming mice that have extra buttons used for triggering macros for example and number keys so I dont see why CTRL key wouldnt be doable.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
    In Windows Explorer (Vista onwards) you can show checkboxes. You don't need the keyboard to check multiple boxes.

justbecause

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:54 PM »
      If you have a mouse with extra buttons, you might be able to map an extra button as the CTRL key. I havent done this before, but seen gaming mice that have extra buttons used for triggering macros for example and number keys so I dont see why CTRL key wouldnt be doable.

Thanks!

I was wondering about those gaming mice (mouses?).  I even had one vertical mouse that had extra buttons on it, but it didn't come with a guidebook, so I had no idea what they were for.

I will have to look for a mouse with extra buttons and see if that works. ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
      If you are using Windows you may be able to get what you want using Microsoft Intellipoint, I haven't tried it, but I just found a free app called X-Mouse Button Control. It works on Windows 10 Creators Update. and I think going back to XP. I have a ordinary standard mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel which you can tilt left or right. The wheel is also a middle button if you press it down. So it really has 5 buttons left, middle right, wheel left, wheel right (plus you can remap wheel scroll up and down), .I was able to map a first tilt-wheel-right to simulate holding the Ctrl key down, and a second tilt-wheel-right to simulate letting the Ctrl key up again. A whole bunch of stuff you can customize. I was then able to noodle around in Windows Explorer and Excel just like I was using the Ctrl key.

http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

This is the main window where you select which mouse button to use

This is the options window for a particular button (click the little gear wheel next to that button's driopdown). I can't see much difference between options 7 and 8 for the simulated Ctrl key up/down  strokes.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:14:09 PM by Salmon Trout »

Deuxdad

Rookie

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
      Press either SHIFT key 5 times in succesion. A dialog box will open regarding "sticky keys".
      Deuxdad