Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade or Scrap and start new?  (Read 2729 times)

manthuis

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Upgrade or Scrap and start new?
    « on: June 22, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
    Should I scrap & start new or update?

Hello!

Last year, I purchased a built computer (big mistake) and it consistently has blue screen of death issues (generic - Check Exception, or something).  I took it in to a local shop, and he thought I didn't have a strong enough power supply since ram/hard drive/ etc. tested okay.  After upgrading that - same problem. 

After looking at what I currently have (listed below), I'm trying to decide to upgrade the processor & motherboard (and Video card, possibly or eventually) or should I scrap the whole thing and start new?    Was thinking upgrading to a 6th gen (since I don't need top of the line) i7 and motherboard and move from there?  (BTW, the machine came with a Windows 7.  I installed my Windows 8 license on disc and free upgraded to 10 on this machine...)

THANK YOU!!!!

My current system has in a large-form gaming case (big enough to modify internals, I think):

Processor: Intel i7 - 920 Quad Core 2.67
    Motherboard: HP Pavilion Elite 517194-001 ATX  (both of these were much older than I expected)
    Memory - 8GB DDR3
    Video Card: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTZ275 896 MB
    Hard Disk: 500 GB SATA
    DVD-ROM/CD-RW
    I also added a Wireless card
    Upgraded to a 650 Watt power supply

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrade or Scrap and start new?
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »
    I doubt it was the power supplu - you still have the problem!  >:(

First of all, I can understand your concern. I hacve worked with eleftronic devices for several years and it is never easy to diagnoste a problem unless there is a smoking  gun. That is, some real specific prooof taht a componet or modual has vailes. Here are some rare thigns often overlooked:
    A. Bad CD/DVD drive taht draws too much current.
        (Tech has to use an amp probve to verify thjis.)
    B. Hard drive with faiing motopr taht does not maintain speed
         (Hard to verify.)
    C. Memory stick that is sensitive to some paterns.
         (Requires extensive testing.)
    D.  CPU that has an esoteric internal eror.
          (Ccan not be vrified direcdtly with shope tools. A tech  can try  another CPU of the same part number.  Belive me, there are a few  bad CPUs out there. )

Item C above can be , to some exctent, verified with time and testing. You have to try just one stick in the machine, if posible, and run one of  the tough multi-pass memory tests.
    Here is  one form Microsft. Once running, it does not depend of the OS. It tests the memory will paterens tht may revel some kind of internal flaw in the memory chips. You can do this test without anoth specail equipment.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2008.09.utilityspotlight.aspx
    One of the PCs you support is acting up—freezing, crashing, blue screening. Is some piece of hardware failing? Is some newly installed application causing trouble? Or could it be faulty memory? One way to find out for sure is with the free Microsoft® Windows® Memory Diagnostic utility. This tool will run a variety of tests on your PC's RAM to determine whether flaws exist in any of the modules.
    It is worht the effort. Might save your some time and money.  :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:02:47 PM by Geek-9pm »

pcurtj1974

Re: Upgrade or Scrap and start new?
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:58:17 PM »
    I have that processor with a P6T and had problems. I lowered the voltage of my memory down to 1066 from 1600 and all blue screens and what not went away. Its a good spare still, and the 920 is a overclocking monster.

Should I scrap & start new or update?

Hello!

Last year, I purchased a built computer (big mistake) and it consistently has blue screen of death issues (generic - Check Exception, or something).  I took it in to a local shop, and he thought I didn't have a strong enough power supply since ram/hard drive/ etc. tested okay.  After upgrading that - same problem. 

After looking at what I currently have (listed below), I'm trying to decide to upgrade the processor & motherboard (and Video card, possibly or eventually) or should I scrap the whole thing and start new?    Was thinking upgrading to a 6th gen (since I don't need top of the line) i7 and motherboard and move from there?  (BTW, the machine came with a Windows 7.  I installed my Windows 8 license on disc and free upgraded to 10 on this machine...)

THANK YOU!!!!

My current system has in a large-form gaming case (big enough to modify internals, I think):

Processor: Intel i7 - 920 Quad Core 2.67
    Motherboard: HP Pavilion Elite 517194-001 ATX  (both of these were much older than I expected)
    Memory - 8GB DDR3
    Video Card: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTZ275 896 MB
    Hard Disk: 500 GB SATA
    DVD-ROM/CD-RW
    I also added a Wireless card
    Upgraded to a 650 Watt power supply