Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I just got a major update. What was it?  (Read 6242 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I just got a major update. What was it?
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:36:37 PM »
I just got a major update on Windows 10. It looks like some of my programs are gone. Does that sound right?  I can not find Firefox. Did  they remove it? or am I so forgetful I can't remember where I put it?
The build number is not the same. So, how do I make a rescue DVD in case I ever need to wipe my drive clean?

Salmon Trout

Re: I just got a major update. What was it?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 01:10:46 AM »
Have you checked your update history?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »
I heard about this with 10 a little ways back, maybe its due to this: https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/

Microsoft hasn’t directly commented on this. In fact, Microsoft specifically declined to comment when asked about this by VentureBeat. We also haven’t seen them issue a statement to any other media outlet or a blog post on the subject. That’s why we can only piece this together from what people are reporting on social media and forums. However, the Microsoft Services Agreement that applies to Windows does explicitly states that Microsoft may remove access to software or hardware.

I have a brand new Dell Intel Core i3 2.1ghz laptop that came with Windows 10 and i bought it cheap ( $279.99 ) as an upgrade replacement to my ASUS Intel Celeron 1000M 1.8Ghz Dual-Core Windows 7 laptop that I have had for 4 years now, but each time I mess with Windows 10, I find myself running back to the comfort and no nonsense of Windows 7, so the new laptop remains new in storage for now, however I am thinking I should boot it every once in a while and keep it up to date as for someday I might be forced to have to use Windows 10 for something that requires Windows 8 or newer.  :-\

I use the run hour information in the hard drives data with crystaldiskinfo to use an an idea of how many run hours I have on laptops and in 4 years the laptop just finally reached 1083 hours of use, but like 543 boots according to hard drive. My desktop systems I pack on the runtime with and have drives heading for 50,000 hours of use. I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade on a spare drive and I suppose I should pop that into my desktop and bring that up to date too.

As Salmon said though the update history should show what was last run with a KB and number  you then can look up what the change or changes were from this number. In here it should also show a pass or fail for updates. At least on my Windows 7 systems it shows whether a update was successful etc. Thinking 10 should be the same.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
I assure you, the Windows update did not "remove" Firefox.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Windows 10 only removes programs that have known issues which tends to be programs that install drivers (CPU-Z, HWMonitor, that sort of thing) as well as occasionally, AV Software.

Well, technically, they aren't actually removed. They just aren't brought forward, because they are only removed during major version upgrades. Firefox isn't one of the programs though. It probably just reset your default browser.

The build number is not the same

OK. What are they?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
It's the alleged anniversary update that happened...

And as BC stated Win updates does NOT remove anything...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 08:02:05 PM »
Yes,Firefox is still there. Where I left it.
I am haaving a bad time.  >:(
I spent part of Friday and most of yeaterday working on my two destops computers. I can not remember nothing anything.
The build I used on this PC was 1607 but now it is not. Now I can not find my notes.... After the update it said something sgtrange...
Thanks for the help. Windows Tin is working fine. The California heat is getting to me. The AC does not work and it is 88 here in my computer nook. 

:'( I am not crhying... taht is sweat!   

edit: it says version 1703(OS Build 14083.413)
.... am am not even going o ask!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:18:54 PM by Geek-9pm »

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
The Windows installer will absolutely uninstall certain programs.  I'm addicted to Spider Solitaire game from Windows 7.  MS removed those games starting in Win 8 which meant I needed to install them to use them in Win 8 and Win 10.  MS doesn't want you to use the olde versions of their games, they want you to use the new versions (which I don't like).  Anyway, the installer will remove Spider Solitaire every update and I just re-install it.  I've never had FireFox removed. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:45:08 PM »
Most of the aftermarket installers which provide those Windows 7 games install it to the same location that they were found in Windows 7- "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games" I expect that The upgrade checks for this folder and will remove it because it is presumed that it is a leftover from Windows 7; and since the Windows 7 programs don't run on Windows 10 there would have been no reason to keep them. Basically, it isn't uninstalling the program, it's removing what it thinks are components of the previous version of Windows.

The Winaero Installer was the only installer that seemed to actually install working versions for me. But it doesn't even give you an option of where to put the files- forces them to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games" You can move the folder to another location or rename it (and change shortcuts) and upgrades should leave them alone.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Sounds like he needs an air-conditioner more than anything else...

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
Thanks to all lfor hyour help and observations.  :)
I got help from Microsft support fora very important issue. My Windows 10 was not activated. To make a long story short, I had a bobo with my motherboard. And I donm't want to talk aboaut it.  :-[

Anyway, MS online support fixed the activation issue whne I explained how I got Windows 10 from the Windows 7 upgrade program. I could not use the image from my old install, because I changed motherboard.  So I had done a  a new intall of 1607. But I could not find any product key. The never was one. So the Tech on Microsft support was kind  enoughj to type in a valid code over remote assitant. Works great now.

I have now made a new full backup of this new motherboard using Macrium Reflect.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

But I will have to clean up a few programs that are not exacltyright. But that is not a problem. I use an old version of Keytext that will rum on WIndows 10, but with some kind of specail things that reqjuires a re-install.  Anyhow, it works now.

Maybe, someday, I will become an expert on WIndows 10. If that ever happens, I wnt to change my user name from Geek-9pm to Geek10.    8)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »
Can't wait...

You still need an air conditioner.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
You have to admit a bobo on your motherboard certainly is better than a yogi.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »
You have to admit a bobo on your motherboard certainly is better than a yogi.
The mobo had mechanical damage inflicted by a large person.
Like I said, I don't want to talk about it.  :-[

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
The mobo had mechanical damage inflicted by a large person.Like I said, I don't want to talk about it.  :-[
Geek, we've all been there.