Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AP Setup  (Read 3239 times)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    AP Setup
    « on: June 25, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
    Just recently, got Centurylink Internet, about a week ago installed for my house.  Do to position of the Modem an location of the Computers can't exactly, run cabling.  In accord to what I was told I could use a AP an connect wireless, to the Modem an repeat the Signal an connect via the ports to the ones without wireless cards.   

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: AP Setup
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »
    You can definitely do this, how you set it up depends on the access point but the option/mode is usually called something like "Station", "Client" or "Bridge" - You would put the AP into this mode, enter the SSID and security settings for your main network and then connect devices to the AP via a cable (possibly adding in a switch since APs tend to only have a single port).  Devices connected will then effectively act as though they are connected directly to the main router.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
      Sorry, I have to work later tonight so I couldn't locate the model of it right off.  It's a Belkin N150 Router, an I have a Linkys WAP54G but, I don't know how to set that up.  I have the switch an was going to connect into that

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
      Good, do that. Thread closed.