Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two PCs on one CAt-5 cable.  (Read 3461 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Two PCs on one CAt-5 cable.
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:37:49 PM »
Tather than bukhying a hub for two computerws located some distance from the main room, you can have two PCs on a single CAT-5 cable. The bandwidth might drop. Or maybe not. at 100 Mnps the trick will work most of the time.
Here is on site that shows how to do it. It has also been documented many times elsewhre. But maybe you did not know about it.
https://superuser.com/questions/351934/how-to-get-two-separated-connections-on-one-cable
So... We have a CAT5 cable. How can we use two separated connection on it? I know if we want to use 2 psyhically separated connections then we can get only max 100 Mbit on each line.
How do I need to arrange the cables so that we could use one cable to connect 2-2 PCs?
He answers the questions with photos. Four wires goto one PC, the other four to theother. The blue pair replace the oarnge pair and the brpwm [air replace the green pair. Simple. - No? :D

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Two PCs on one CAt-5 cable.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:26:42 AM »
You can do this although you can get adapters for virtually nothing that make the appropriate connections rather than having to make your own.  That said, you can easily pick up a cheap switch for under $10 (and only a few $ more for gigabit) so I really struggle to see a reason for doing this sort of thing.