Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to Wifi a Victorian Terrace?  (Read 4015 times)

Shawnhook

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    How to Wifi a Victorian Terrace?
    « on: June 30, 2017, 06:03:50 AM »
    From there I can get reliable WI-fi in both of the upstairs rooms, almost-reliable WI-fi in the room below the router, wi-fi that I can connect to with a PC but not a phone in the front room downstairs and almost nothing in the kitchen/bathroom.

changing the configuration within a Victorian terraced Charm & Super Fast WiFi, and there is free parking nearby.
    What's irritating is that I can get a stronger signal from the neighbor's WI-if in all of the downstairs rooms than I can from my own.

Researching solutions isn't easy, because the WI-fi tests all seem to assume that problems are with big homes (which this decidedly isn't), and usually don't seem to care about second- stores issues avltechno.com/support/onsite-it-support.html.

Has anyone been in this position and could recommend something? I'm thinking about a mesh network, but I'm not sure how I'd set it up (I'd assume top back/bottom front/bottom lean-to, but would I be able to get enough connectivity in the downstairs areas to make that work? I can't drop a grand on a solution that won't pan out). If so, are any of the products on market at the moment better for this situation than another ?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to Wifi a Victorian Terrace?
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:12 AM »
    what make/model router or access point do you have? And that link doesnt really help with your situation.

Some router models support DD-WRT and if you flash them with DD-WRT you can increase signal strength beyond mfr spec, however they run warmer when you do this and can die from overheating.

https://emtunc.org/blog/06/2011/how-to-boost-your-wireless-strength-with-dd-wrt/

I am running DD-WRT on a D-Link Router that I bought for $20 refurb at newegg. I bought it and flashed overtop of the very limited firmware application that D-Link provided and DD-WRT turned this $20 router into features of a $100+ router with all sorts of security, bandwidth throttling and QoS, and ability to adjust the transmission strength beyond manufacturer default spec. I increased mine  and tried it out and it works, but the router was running hot so I backed away from overdriving the transmitter and it ran cooler and better distance than default.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:17:27 AM »
    IMO it's about router placement as much as anything. For determining an optimal location for a router you have to consider that the Radio Waves travel in straight lines.

I mean, that's obvious, but what might not be quite so obvious is that this means that a wall that is 3 inches thick could very well be affecting the signal as if it was 10 feet thick; it's all about the angle. You want to place the router so that all the areas you want ideal reception are as "straight" through walls and floors as possible, as the radio waves are attenuated far more by solid walls, floors, etc. than air.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »
    Maybe the poster could draw a simple diagram of how the layout of the building.
    Also, what wiring already exsistes in the rooms? Telephone? Burgular  alarm?
    What about heating and cooling ducts?  Is there cable to the TV sets?
    Do all, or most have windows taht face acourtyard?

One posibiloity is to have Wi-Fi repeaters in the couryard.  (Note: Some ISP companies will limit the number of users or devices you can have on a home service, You may have to upgrade to a comercial service.)

Another is to have the Wif-Fi signal tide the TV cable.
    (This is beyhoound the average user, you need a profesional to do this. Some TV cable companyes have this kind of service for hotles.)
    EDIT: From a Yahoo search:
    Provide wi-fi in hotel that already has cableTV.
    You tube videos.
    Hope that is of some help.  :)
    Not! Bunch of ameteurs.
    this is better:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2376767/building-network-100-room-hotel.html
    Building a WI-FI Network for a 100 Room Hotel
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:51:12 PM by Geek-9pm »