Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File sharing from Win10 Home PC  (Read 3377 times)

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    File sharing from Win10 Home PC
    « on: July 01, 2017, 04:55:33 AM »
    There are three PCs on my home network.  PC1 and PC2 have recently been upgraded from XP to 10 HOME and the PC3 is still running XP.
    On PC1, in addition to my C-drive, I have some logical drives.  I want all users of PC1 and PC2 to have read and write access to all of PC1's logical drives but I want users of PC3 to have read-only access to only one of PC1's logical drives.

Despite hours of trial and error, as well as Internet searching, I cannot wok out how to do achieve that.  I can get full access to all drives for all users of PC2 but then PC3 users get it too.  I cannot use Homegroup (at least, not only that), as XP does not use it.  It looks to me as if the Home version of 10 does not allow me to specify read/write access to users on other PCs (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

I would really appreciate any halp or advice anyone has to offer.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: File sharing from Win10 Home PC
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
    I believe you need to utilize file sharing since Windows XP does not use Homegroup.  This brief reference might help: File sharing between Win 10 and XP

For more references via Google , search on file sharing windows 10 to xp or a similar phrase.