Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ransomware  (Read 2309 times)

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    ransomware
    « on: July 04, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
    Hello  -   
    I hope this is not too  long and I hope someone has the time to give an opinion.  What do I do if I get hit with a ransomware and I am locked out of my computer?  I checked some of the forums and got the impression that there is a way to get around the lockout.  Is this true?.  I am not expecting  a problem but my
     data could be compromised if the bank I use  (Chase) was hacked.  Do you expect more hacking problems?   
    Seems like nothing can stop the hackers.  Melwarebytes  claims that if you use their top program it will stop hackers before they get in.  Is this a good claim or just a lot of BS.     Thanks for your time.     Bob

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: ransomware
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
    No 1 product blocks everything...if it happens see our Malware Experts here @ the Forums...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 12:39:13 PM »
    The first ting I'd say is DON'T PAY THE RANSOM, there's no guarantee that you'll get the files back and by paying you will end up encouraging the people causing these infections to do it more.  Some ransomwares are fake and don't actually encrypt your files so if you got hit with one of those you can recover them.   However, nowadays, most of the time they will encrypt the files in a way that is impossible to recover from.

The best way to protect against the impact of ransomware is to keep regular backups and these backups should be stored offline (such as an external hard drive that is left unplugged), if you leave your backup drive plugged in, there's a chance that a ransomware infection would take out your backups as well!

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
      Thanks for the replies.  I will follow your advise.     Bob.