Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Login System for a website  (Read 9815 times)

A10 Tactical

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Login System for a website
    « on: June 24, 2017, 06:42:50 AM »
    Hello I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of implementing a login system for my eCommerce website? I have never done this sort of thing before, I assume it would be php?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Login System for a website
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:18:13 AM »
    I'd use an already existing eCommerce provider or buy a 3rd party software to achieve this as for you have never done this before and someone who has a background in internet security and point of sale systems as well as compliance should really handle this one. If it were a school project etc to make a simulated eCommerce website thats one thing but the minute you make your eCommerce business live online your going to get hit pretty fast by hackers if you dont know how to protect yourself. As a business owner your liable for making sure that no ones credit card and personal information gets stolen when making purchases through your business and you can be sued for not using a commercially recognized eCommerce point of sale system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard

I highly advise using a well known eCommerce provider or commercially recognized software to handle eCommerce. Hosting your own through your own servers will be extremely expensive and paying for an eCommerce service will be way cheaper.

Adding a logon system that is poorly coded could make for a backdoor entry for a hacker to do all sorts of bad stuff including planting data stealing scripts etc.

A10 Tactical

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 07:35:19 AM »
      I'd use an already existing eCommerce provider or buy a 3rd party software to achieve this as for you have never done this before and someone who has a background in internet security and point of sale systems as well as compliance should really handle this one. If it were a school project etc to make a simulated eCommerce website thats one thing but the minute you make your eCommerce business live online your going to get hit pretty fast by hackers if you dont know how to protect yourself. As a business owner your liable for making sure that no ones credit card and personal information gets stolen when making purchases through your business and you can be sued for not using a commercially recognized eCommerce point of sale system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard

I highly advise using a well known eCommerce provider or commercially recognized software to handle eCommerce. Hosting your own through your own servers will be extremely expensive and paying for an eCommerce service will be way cheaper.

Adding a logon system that is poorly coded could make for a backdoor entry for a hacker to do all sorts of bad stuff including planting data stealing scripts etc.

Thank you for this information! Do you have any recommendations for 3rd party companies to handle this? I assume you would be referring to Magento or Shopify?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
      A10 Tactical, for help with  login security and payment you can:
      Ask your bank.
      Ask American Express.
      Ask PayPal.
      https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/accept-payments-online

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
      I dont have any recommendations because I havent messed with eCommerce in 8 years and its one of those subjects that you need to be up to the times with.

Back in 2009 before leaving the Point of Sale security scene, the Food Stores that I as Systems Admin for for 6 years were having to go through PCI Compliance and we had some issues such as one of the oddball Point of Sale systems in the gas Station that the business owned was storing credit card numbers and so that had to go away, hard drive destroyed to protect customer data," and get replaced with a better system that doesnt store credit card numbers. We also had to isolate the POS network from the USER network where as both were on the same LAN. When i got there in 2003 it was a big big mess of stuff on the same LAN but different IP and Subnets, and I worked to get the POS system isolated because we had some users that were back door accessing the company network from home etc and fortunately we never got hit by a hacker but it was not up to compliance until i left in 2009 when they were looking to push people out the door or fire them who are paid too much they claimed after the economy tanked in 2008 with housing bubble bursting and stocks plunging, and hire newer people for lesser. This was a big disaster for them and cost lots of money and upset lots of customers when stuff broke an no one there able to get it back up and running fast because of new untrained help. They had to hire 3rd party company to back door into the company to fix issues remotely and pay lots of money for emergency calls etc. It would have been way cheaper to keep me and my boss than to fire him when pressure tactics of trying to get employees to quit didnt work, but I saw what they did to him and same game they were playing with me and decided to just give my notice vs ever get fired without reason which the state of New Hampshire Labor Laws allow for.  ::)

Geeks info with paypal etc I would probably check into... The biggest thing is that what percentage can your business afford to take that cuts into your profit margin. Certain credit cards at the business I worked for cost a different percentage on the sale to process. Paypal might be the easiest to set up and as a customer using Paypal I have had good experience with them with getting a refund when a transaction went sour etc. But they might be great for customers and not so great for the merchant, the merchant side of the Paypal is the unknown to me. Additionally Paypal is trusted and well known so people buying something through your site seeing that will probably feel more comfortable than processing through an unknown credit or debt card processing means. I have backed out of transactions online in the past for example when I had a gut feeling that I better not becasue the green security lock isnt shown in URL bar of browser etc. But with paypal i just verify that its actually Paypal and not a spoofed hacker site that i'm connected to in URL bar and if I am I buy the item and feel safe doing so.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
      I have sold on eBay  using Paypal amd was happy with it. But lately I have run out of things to sell.
      How much does paypal charge merchants?
      Goods and services – Purchase payments: There's no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services (such as from selling an item on eBay), the fee for each transaction is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive
      So, at about 3% Paypal is on the high side. But thaere are other factors. Some credit cards hve other changes that m,ight go abobve 3% on some trnasactions.
      Here is the most recent thing for Paypal:
      https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees
       :)

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
      2.9% isn't that bad actually even with the 30 cent transaction fee. The store I worked for was having to pay 4.5% to 7.0% on credit card transactions with pin pad terminals and hughes net satellite as the main communication means with dial-up as a backup to this if weather would take out the satellite. Visa, Mastercard, and Discover were processed at different agreed upon contractual amounts. We could take american express but we didnt tell customers that because american express transactions were almost 10% somewhere in the 9% on the sale. So we would say that we only took the 3 major credit card types. EBT and Debt cards I dont recall what the fees were for those, but they accepted those too.

Some places put a minimum purchase amount to protect from say someone buying a candy bar for 99 cents and having 33 cents of that given to credit card processing if same amount as paypal at 2.9% etc. If selling higher ticket items you wouldnt have to worry about that much the 30 cents would be next to nothing on say a $30.00 purchase it becomes 30 cents which is 1% and then 87 cents at 2.9% so $1.17 in fees to do the transaction and that $30.00 sale then was $28.83.

nuco

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
      Not much experience in e-commerce but 2.9% does not seem like a bad rate at all!

If I remember correctly Stripe does a similar rate - why not check them out? https://stripe.com/
      Thanks,
      Shane (Nuke/nuco)

If I helped you, you're welcome. ;)