Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with mouse  (Read 5173 times)

Duey

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    help with mouse
    « on: July 12, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
    i am wondering if there is any way to run my mouse on 2 different screens at the same time? example: facebook on one screen and craigslist on another but the mouse is moving on both at the same time.
    thank you for any help

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: help with mouse
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
    Why not have 2 independent computers?

There are some problems that come along with doing this if you get it to work. Windows is intended mainly to have 1 window the active focus at a time and not multiples so you might be able to get 2 mice to work independently, but each mouse would likely steal the focus of what is the active window. You can have 2 displays running and see content, but I am thinking you would have to communicate with the other person to say ok I need to play this game and then be able to click on objects in the game and the other person would have to be hands off until the first person is done as for any keystrokes entered during that time would be passed to the active window which is the single main focus of which ever mouse selected a window last.

I'd suggest having 2 computers vs trying to have 2 mice active.

I run 2 computers at the same time myself, and have my KVM attached to where one of the systems can have 2 displays active while the other system only gets the 1 display, but both systems can share the same keyboard, but I have 2 mice and so I can interact with each systems windows independently. The mouse connected to the KVM can be used for both systems, but the mouse connected to front USB port only controls that computer. I then just need to use the KVM when wanting to type info on either system. Other than that both mice can be used independently. I can make a diagram of this if interested in this type of setup.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:15:50 AM »
    Short answer is No...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »
    Short answer is No...

I agree that "NO" should be the answer,... but heard about this some time ago and figured I'd share it. Its not a perfect match to what you want because both mice cant be used at the same time. I never played with this and I just use 2 systems with 2 displays and 1 of the 2 systems has access to two displays while the other only has access to 1 of the 2, but a single keyboard used between both and the mouse connected to the KVM can control both systems, but the USB mouse connected to system #2 can control that system at the same time I control system #1.

Problem:

When you have two mice hooked up to your computer, Windows XP will recognize all the mice as the same mouse. Any left click event from any of the mice will send a left click event to whatever window the cursor is on. There isn't a native way to distinguish between one mouse and another under windows XP, so it's difficult to set each mouse to do different things with its buttons.

Solution:

By using Michael Simon's package that allows control of a remote control device, we can obtain enough information from the HID messages that each mouse is sending in order to differentiate between one mouse and another, and create events specific for each mouse.

There are a few caveats to doing this though. First of all, all your mice have to be HID compliant. If you're using Windows XP, this is almost assuredly the case. Second of all, you need to download the package that Michael Simon provides that has his DLL which allows you to program remote control buttons. You can get it here: http://www.autohotke...Autohotkey.html Lastly, you have to disable all the buttons across the system. This is easy to do because Windows XP thinks that all the mice are the same mouse, so all you have to do is set up a basic mouse hotkey that disables the mouse buttons.

LButton::return
    RButton::return
    Etc., etc.

When you have these commands in a script, they will disable the buttons on all of your mice at the same time, because Windows XP "sees" those mice all as the same mouse. Then, we use Michael Simon's DLL to obtain the HID messages, which contain what buttons have been pressed and which mouse those buttons are attached to. Then it's a simple matter of sending an event in response to specific buttons being pressed by specific mice.

In my situation, I have a PS2 mouse for my left hand and a trackball for my right hand. I have to wear a carpal tunnel brace on my right-hand, which causes me to hit the buttons on the trackball accidentally. In this script, I have disabled the buttons on the second mouse, which in this case is the trackball, and allowed the first mouse, which is the PS2 mouse, to perform left click, right-click, and other mouse events. I've used a piece of tape over the PS2 mouse's "eye" to prevent it from moving the cursor while I'm holding it.

Google Search criteria I used since I remember it was for Windows XP was ... "2 mice on one computer xp"

In which this article below shows an interesting way to have 2 mice with their own identity so that both arent the same mouse.

https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/26967-using-multiple-mice-to-control-one-computer/

For what you want though ...

Hypothetically speaking...

If you ran a virtual machine on one display and was able to pipe the mouse communications between mouse #2 and the virtual system only to not affect the physical systems mouse controls that is only way I could see both at the same time ... BUT the real crusher to ever making even that work would be if you can have mouse control in the virtual environment of a window that isnt the active window, as for the physical system would run with which window is active for mouse interaction.  Its not worth it to try to get around this for both mice to work at same time independently. Its best to really have 2 computers independent of one another for what you want.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
    The operative word above is "both"...

His query was 1 mouse.

So the simple answer remains...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »
    Short answer is definitely no.

Long answer is that you can write your own software that utilizes a mouse hook that copies captured input events and places new input messages in the queue for the other monitor and shows overlays on the other screens to depict the cursor, then give up because Window and control focus is inherently incompatible with two pointing devices simulated or real.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:29:39 AM »
    For the longwe answer.
    Windows ism by design for use by one user at a time.
    Linux was from the stantrt meant for use with more tahtn one user at the same time.
    Do a Google search on the idea of two people user one computer and doing different taks. Dual monitors, keyboard and mice.
    Linux:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/277992/how-to-set-up-ubuntu-for-multiple-users-at-the-same-time
    Windows:
    https://superuser.com/questions/106842/can-two-users-simultaneously-share-one-pc
    The keyword is 'Multiseat configuration'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration
    is a single computer which supports multiple independent local users at the same time.
    A "seat" consists of all hardware devices assigned to a specific workplace at which one user sits at and interacts with the computer. It consists of at least one graphics device (graphics card or just an output (e.g. HDMI/VGA/DisplayPort port) and the attached monitor/beamer) for the output and a keyboard and a mouse for the input. It can also include video cameras, sound cards and more
    In the 1970s, it was very commonplace to connect multiple computer terminals to a single mainframe computer, even graphical terminals. Early terminals were connected with RS-232 type serial connections, either directly, or through modems. With the advent of Internet Protocol based networking, it became possible for multiple users to log into a host using telnet or – for a graphic environment – an X Window System "server". These systems would retain a physically secure "root console" for system administration and direct access to the host machine.

X-Windows is from UNIX.
    The X Window System (commonly referred to as X or X11) is a network-transparent graphical windowing system based on a client/server model. Primarily used on Unix and Unix-like systems such as Linux, versions of X are also available for many other operating systems.
    :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 07:35:48 AM »
    His query was 1 mouse.

Thanks Patio for catching my attention that I read the initial request incorrectly. I read it as 2 mice on 2 screens and ran with that.  ::)

So yup NO is the answer..  ;D

I am at a loss as to why you would want 1 mouse on 2 screens with totally different content as for say you did pull this off ..... anything clicked on on say facebook would click on the same x,y coordinate of Craigslist and more than 1 computer would be needed because windows wont allow for both like that.

Only use for 1 mouse to control 2 screens i can think of is if both screens are running same say video game, and your using multiple computers all controlled by the same mouse to carry out the same mouse event on multiple systems at the same time.  :-\

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »
    In some IT places the opeator on duty has to monitor ten different servers and he does not want 10 mice on his physical workspace. So they use some kind ofswitch.
    Yes, the answer is NO.
    Having one mouse control two computer is pointless. The switch costs more than the mouse. And takes space on the work space.
    It would be easier to have one system respond to voice commands and teh other to kehyboard and mouse.

Duey

Topic Starter

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
      Thank you for all the info. Was wondering because i play a game where i want to run multiple accounts on different screens set up the same and use 1 mouse to control them at the same time. i tried using a usb splitter to run one mouse on 2 laptops but it didnt work. Thank you again for all the info. guess i will have to just run the accounts independently.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
      Only use for 1 mouse to control 2 screens i can think of is if both screens are running same say video game, and your using multiple computers all controlled by the same mouse to carry out the same mouse event on multiple systems at the same time.  :-\

I guess after reading it wrong in the beginning, after correcting myself I was spot on in this statement other day. ;D

If you want to automate video games its best to use a keyboard/mouse macro. Run through a loop of a routine recording your mouse and keystrokes in real time. Leave a known position and come back to that known home position when done. By doing this you can then have your player in the game do whatever the process is and you dont even need to be there to control it. I do this with some redundant time wasting features of games such as farming materials that have time delays aka cool downs. I use a software which wasnt free but it works really well called Jitbit Macro Recorder. I can press record and whatever i do with keyboard and mouse is recorded in real time. Then press stop when done. I can then compile this routine as an EXE and call upon it as a scheduled task. I broke down the processes into small redundant chunks and placed them into a batch file listing such as:

go_farm_wood1.exe
      go_gather_gold1.exe

each time the batch file is called it runs through the farming of wood and then after thats done it goes and gathers the gold. If you gather items very soon to the intervals that is the wait time for them to be gathered which is a timer, you can make a lot of money and gather wood quickly as if you were there clicking when  it was complete every say 5 minutes 24 hours a day, but you dont have to do that the computer does all the brain sore work so you can enjoy life and just play the fun parts of the game which is not the gathering part.

For this to work though the games cant have sniffers. There are games out there with memory sniffers that look for cheaters. If its a game that has memory sniffers then you risk permanent ban from the game if caught. I dont look at what i do as cheating, I look at it more as making better use of my time to play the fun part of the games design and the boring part of the design i leave up to the computer to do for me.

One game I play it was consuming way too much time 1.5 hours of each day was gathering stuff and going through a daily process after that for 4 accounts that I play on. I now can play the 10 or 15 minute fun part of the game and leave my macros up to doing it all unattended for the boring part. So I start my automation before bed and let my computer play the game for me when I sleep. When i wake in the morning everything has been gathered and I can check on stuff and play the fun part.

Thinking you will be better off using automation macros for what you want to do... however... if the game is dynamic, that is targets are not always in the same location at timed intervals, then it wont work for you unless you have a bot with object recognition running that can target stuff and assume preprogrammed instructions of what to do when specific objects are detected etc. I myself havent bothered with dynamic automation. Everything i do is redundant always the same automation so every time its run the objects to interact with are at the specific coordinates.

That Y splitter with 2 laptops is VERY dangerous.... Each laptop has its own 5V DC power and you basically merged the USB  port power between them. If they are balanced voltages no problem, but if one laptop is 1 or 2 tenths of a volt different than the other, then power from the one that is 5.1 VDC will be traveling to the laptop that is 4.9VDC and you might cook the USB ports as you back feed power into the 4.9VDC laptops USB port. The other issue you have is the serial communications cant just be teamed like that for both to detect the mouse and run with it.

The only hack I can think of would be to take 2 mice, and wire one mouse to the other with opto isolators for its X,Y and relays that trigger for the Left/Right mouse click so that each PC is interacting with the chip of each mouse, but by which the mouses information is teamed and isolated. *Its more work than its worth to pull this off. The other issue you will run into is that both accounts will need to have the game starting at exactly the same location for coordinates of the player and both have the same environment objects, so when clicking to pick up an object on one laptop for example, it picks up that same object on the other laptop running the same game. Any little offset will become a greater and greater offset in the game as you move further and further away from your starting position. I have lots of experience with the smallest offsets causing BIG Problems with automation!  ;D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »
      Short answer still remains No...

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 01:27:32 AM »
      Short answer still remains No...

;D  ;)

otisgrimes

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:51:27 AM »
        Is it possible to run mouse on two screens?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
        Is it possible to run mouse on two screens?
        Yes, with specail effort.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536041/two-active-mice-on-two-monitors/

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/600262-Can-i-use-two-mice-on-two-monitors-to-control-two-different-programs

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54297-3-mouse-pointers-desktop-multiple-desktops
        In the above link they really get into a word fight about why you  would ever want to do this. Normally, windows will find both mice and give them control of just one cursor. A better descripttion is "multiple cursors"  instead of sayhing  two mice.

When you say "multiple cursors", you go into a whole new world of things.
        Here is an argument against having more that just one cursor on the desktop.
        You don’t need more than one cursor in win
        I started to read it and got a headace....  :-[

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
        i am wondering if there is any way to run my mouse on 2 different screens at the same time? example: facebook on one screen and craigslist on another but the mouse is moving on both at the same time.
        I'm puzzled by this question.  In years past, I used dual monitors.  Based on that experience, I can't see what the issue is here.  Are you just wanting a way to minimize mouse movement, a way to avoid moving the mouse from one screen to the other?