Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgraded PC, now Home key doesn't work (on any keyboard)?  (Read 3890 times)

Ander

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Upgraded PC, now Home key doesn't work (on any keyboard)?
    « on: July 16, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
    Hey guys,

I don't know if this is Windows 10-specific, but this seems like a harmless enough place to ask you about it.

I just upgraded our PC with a new mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card, then reinstalled Windows 10. Now, for some reason, the Home key on my keyboard doesn't do anything. I've tried a few different keyboards, which all work fine on other machines. I do a lot of writing and editing, and it's quite frustrating.

I tried this online keyboard tester. Normally, when you press a key, it does three things:
    • The key lights up in the keyboard diagram.
    • You hear a click sound.
    • The key's name appears in the window above the diagram (e.g. <Home>).
    All the keys do this except Home. When I press Home, the Home key does light up in the diagram, but there's no click, and no key name appears. So the keyboard's sending the right code, but it's not actually doing anything?

I tried the Passmark Keyboard Test app on my PC, and it doesn't respond to the Home key at all (other keys work fine).

Any ideas? Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Upgraded PC, now Home key doesn't work (on any keyboard)?
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »
    I'd test the system with a Live Linux Disc or a Live Linux USB to see if its a hardware problem or just specific to your Windows 10 build.

Also to mention if this Windows 10 is a cracked version vs a bought licensed version, cracked Windows OS's usually have strange bugs. If thats the case then you will need to buy a copy of Windows 10 that is non-cracked and bug free.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »
    I suspect the MBoard...that is if your Win is legit...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »
    What is the problem? There is no problem.
    https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/h/homekey.htm
    How do you know he key is not working? If the on line test says it is working, it is working.
    Actually you reported it did something. It turns off the click. That is something.
    And it  makes the test appear to malfunction. That is something. It does what it does.
    (Some keys will alter the state of the test program. )
    You may wish to try this on 25 different keyboards on 25 different computers and then come back here are report what your find.)