Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: zipped files problem  (Read 3189 times)

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    zipped files problem
    « on: July 17, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
    Am I missing something?  For years I have sometimes downloaded zip files. (PC) You open the file location and select unzip all.  Easy enough but then you get a list of a dozen files with different names most of which I have no idea what they mean. I have come to sort of understand attachment or installer.   I mean you want a piece of software and you get the zip file but then they leave you hanging on how to proceed to install it and get it running.  Like I say am I missing something.  Where are the further instructions on how to install?  Sometimes using hit or miss I've got it installed but not always. If it's offered to the general public you shouldn't need any specialized training to understand how to get it up and running.  Nowhere have I ever seen a guide to unzipping and using those files. 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: zipped files problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
    Only place I run into stuff like this is with Linux and downloading packages for software in which I then need to research how to install it, such as for Fedora Linux etc.. Or an open source project from github etc that requires you to build and compile the source to run it for Windows.

Is this for Windows? And if so... what software comes as a ZIP file and then leaves you hanging without an installer or a readme.txt file or even install instructions missing?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »
    A Zip file is just an archive.  It stores other files.  Sometimes software is distributed via zip files and contains an installer package. It sounds like you are describing software that is distributed in a ZIP file already "ready to go" without an installer. You would unzip the software where you want it and run it from there, or create the shortcuts you want. It is not something that requires any sort of specialized training, and I'm not sure where the idea that computers require specialized training to use comes from. They are designed to be easy to learn and utilize; It merely takes patience in becoming familiar with the aspects needed.

For example let's say you want to download a program called Revlar. What it does isn't important, because I just made it up. So the download link gives you REVLAR.ZIP. Alright.

Now as far as the contents go, there are a few possibilities once you unzip it- It may have an installer or setup program, which will install the software, or it might not.

The latter case seems to be the one to which you refer. In that instance typically the software will be an executable and perhaps some DLL files needed to run the program; perhaps REVLAR.EXE and REVLAR.DLL. The idea is you copy those files over to a location you want to install it. This is simply something you pick up with time as you become more familiar; you know certain file types are applications, and you see files that run alongside them in a ZIP file and it is pretty straightforward that it likely would need to be moved/installed to a folder via extracting it there.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
    gord99,
    What you say is common sense.
    The average person should not have to do research to find out how to install something. The information ought to be with the package or else have a link to a web site with the full instructions.  :)

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »
      Thank you that's exactly what I'm saying.  You download a piece of software.  It shows a zipfile.  You click and it says extract all. You do that and see several files most of which have no meaning unless you are schooled in file extensions.  So you're left sitting there to start clicking on one after the other so you can actually use the program.  No further instruction.  So I say am I missing something somewhere, did I make a wrong turn?  Frustrating makes me feel stupid which could be, angry at the program developers.  Like you buy a new car and they say ''okay your keys are in that building just go in and get them''  but there's 30 rooms in there each with who knows how many places to look.  I'm not a beginner.  I was using the web even before html.  1980's or so. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
      There's almost always a readme.txt file...

Most installers would be an .exe...or an .msi file.

Also keep in mind when unzipping it's best to create a new folder to unzip to with a unique name.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »
      What adds to the frustration is how Windows does not want you to see file extensions. So you can have several files with the same name but differ only by extensions. So you possibly  might see a list like this:
      setup    .exe
      setup    .txt
      setup    .hlp
      install    .bat
      install    .htm
      read      .txt
      read      .com

Which door will you pick?
      (An that is just in English!)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
      What adds to the frustration is how Windows does not want you to see file extensions.
      For over 20 years, showing file extensions is one of the first thing many people do with a new installation of Windows. It's in Folder Options. I can't believe you don't know this.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 08:01:04 PM »
      + 1
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
      I know it.
      Every time I install Windows it forgets.
      This is a major Windows design defect.
      Hiding file extensions and expecting users to turn it back on.
      Should  I ask, Was there ever a reason for this?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »
      Should  I ask, Was there ever a reason for this?

It is intended to make computers friendlier for people who are confused and have trouble with file extensions. For example, some users feel you need specialized training to understand file extensions. It also prevents the files from being renamed in such a way that the file extension (and thus association) is lost. It's often noted that this is a problem because it can be exploited, but lets not lie to ourselves hear- if somebody has the default option in place they aren't likely to know the difference between a .TIF and a .PIF file anyway.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.