Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setup AP  (Read 2483 times)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Setup AP
    « on: July 18, 2017, 12:30:49 AM »
    Just recently, got Centurylink Internet, about a week ago installed for my house.  Do to position of the Modem an location of the Computers can't exactly, run cabling.  In accord to what I was told I could use a AP an connect wireless, to the Modem an repeat the Signal an connect via the ports to the ones without wireless cards.    Belkin N150 Router, an I have a Linkys WAP54G but, I don't know how to set that up.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Setup AP
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
    You will want the Router and Modem together somewhere, preferably an elevated part of the structure.

Every computer or device to connect online should have their own wireless network adapters and connect directly to the router.

Have all devices connect to the Belkin N150. If your thinking about using the WAP54G as a repeater your going to run into all sorts of troubles. I have only had good luck sticking with Linksys with their own product lines to make repeaters that work. There is just something about them that makes them troublesome with other wireless branded hardware to get them to work correctly. If you are to use the WAP54G, I'd run a single cat5 cable back to the Belkin N150 hard wired to that. Make 2 wireless networks, both using the same internet connection.

Any computers that dont have wireless adapters, I'd buy USB Wireless Adapters and use those. *I'd avoid setting up Internet Connection Sharing where a system with wifi acts as a gateway for the non-wireless computer(s) to connect through hard wired via peer to peer network or a switch for more than 2 or for 2 systems without cross over cable available.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Setup AP
      « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »
      You will want the Router and Modem together somewhere, preferably an elevated part of the structure.

Every computer or device to connect online should have their own wireless network adapters and connect directly to the router.

Have all devices connect to the Belkin N150. If your thinking about using the WAP54G as a repeater your going to run into all sorts of troubles. I have only had good luck sticking with Linksys with their own product lines to make repeaters that work. There is just something about them that makes them troublesome with other wireless branded hardware to get them to work correctly. If you are to use the WAP54G, I'd run a single cat5 cable back to the Belkin N150 hard wired to that. Make 2 wireless networks, both using the same internet connection.

Any computers that dont have wireless adapters, I'd buy USB Wireless Adapters and use those. *I'd avoid setting up Internet Connection Sharing where a system with wifi acts as a gateway for the non-wireless computer(s) to connect through hard wired via peer to peer network or a switch for more than 2 or for 2 systems without cross over cable available.

Those were my intentions, instead of running a big long cable that I cant exactly run trough stuff.  Basically, your telling me to bridge the two in the network closet which, is the lowest part of the house.  I also, would have to reconfigure the Belkin