Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Hello: 'Couldn't Turn on Camera, Sign in with PIN'  (Read 4908 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Windows Hello: 'Couldn't Turn on Camera, Sign in with PIN'
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
I have had Windows Hello (facial recognition) set up as my sign in on my SP4 running W10 since I bought it a year ago. It has performed pretty well (except when I went a few weeks without shaving), until today.

From my Lock screen, I receive the message "Couldn't turn on camera, sign in with PIN". PIN sign in works just fine. I have tested the camera using the "Camera" app, and it works just fine.

This first started happening today, and has been continuous.

The "Surface Camera Windows Hello" driver is the most up-to-date version; Windows has the most up-to-date version, and (according to my PC) has not installed anything for over seven days.

Earlier this morning, my Windows Defender gave me an error with the Intel Management Engine interface. The Windows Troubleshooter could not fix it, so I deleted it from Device Manager and rebooted. The Camera worked then, but I still had a "(10)" error on Intel Management Engine, so I used System Restore to go back to last Thursday. The Intel Management Engine interface is fine now. But shortly thereafter (I don't know if it was the very next time or not) is when I started having the Windows Hello problem.

Any thoughts on what to try?

Thanks!

Googling seems to be for naught, a.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.