Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where is there a good free portable FTP for XP?  (Read 9778 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Where is there a good free portable FTP for XP?
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »
After trying about five differnt FTP clients that say 'can not run XP' or to that effect, I am asking what you thing I might use.

A portable FTP would be nice, I could also use it in Windows 7 and 10 without doing an install.
I tried an early version of Filezilla that was 3 years old and it told taht it could not run on my XP. But somebody said it would.

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Where is there a good free portable FTP for XP?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
With Filezilla not working on XP, is this XP SP3 fully patched?

I used Filezilla years ago and it worked well, but it was short lived on my XP system. Instead I chose to switch to Linux for better security with my FTP box. I then used PuTTY and WinSCP to interact with it.

I ran into a recent nightmare with a XP system that i got for free that I decided to set up for offline gaming. But it just had its wimpy integrated intel graphivs so I added a better video card. So I needed a driver for my geforce 9800 GT that I added to it and so I selected the download for XP at nvidia's website. Next I found out that the driver needed a bunch of dependencies met before it would install & run such as:

Windows Imaging Component ( WIC_x86_enu ) needed to be downloaded and installed for XP

then .NET 2.0 installed

then Windows Installer 3.1 installed

then Service Pack 3 Redist installed ( in which Microsoft no longer offers SP3 and tells you to get Windows 10 and that XP is no longer supported and I had to get it from MajorGeeks for a file named WindowsXP-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu_c8147...... long chain of alpha numeric characters in file name here of 324MB in size.)

then .NET 3.5 installed

then the driver install for the video card finally started, but then warned that .NET 4.0 is not detected, but by which I was able to get it to install anyways

Got my XP gaming rig running and saved a copy of all the drivers and dependencies for the Geforce 9800 GT video card, especially SP3 since Microsoft no longer offers SP3 for download which is pathetic that I had to get this from a questionable source such as MajorGeeks. Luckily no viruses detected and this box is offline use anyways so.

Additionally to mention, this system when trying to get all updates online, it failed to get security updates from Microsoft so they really have pulled the plug on it I guess. But manually installing the offline installer versions of updates seems to work.

Lastly.... there are a number of programs out there that refuse to install to XP with their current versions that test what OS is running before allowing install and have a message that XP is no longer supported. I found ways around this if this is the case by expanding the contents of the software on a Windows 7 build and then copying the folder contents of the program in its expanded form to my XP system and the software ran fine when launching the EXE for the software on the system because only the installer or expander tested the OS version and the software itself didnt and was happy as a 32-bit application in a 32-bit environment. * Note: This only works if no registry entries are associated with the program. If it has hooks in the registry then I suppose you could manually construct the registry entry dependencies but it would probably be a great pain to have to manually construct the registry entries to support it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 09:57:05 PM »
WinSCP is listed as compatible with Windows XP.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:38:12 PM »
Thanks to both of you.
Most of the time I get this XP machine to do almost anything. Almost. But recently many no longer want to support an old OS. So I know that I am just going to have to give it up.

It was hard for me to give up Windows 2000. I had to study XP stuff for almost a year. Change is often hard.   :)

Well, I got WinSCP  to work. I used the portable version. Looks good. does the job. Nice program.

After all these years, little has changed with FTP. So why can't the FTP program just work with anything?  Is it that hard to write code that works across several versions of Windows?

Anyway, I now have a Ftp that works , WinSCP  portable.
Also, I found  CureFTP also works.

Hackoo

Hopeful
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »
Hi  ;)
Here is an old release that i made before with a vbscript called FTP Explorer.vbs
Description :
You are on a different computer than you, either with friends or in a cybercafe? You want to add, modify, delete files or folders on your FTP server? No chance, you do not have programs on hand as FTP clients like (FileZilla, CuteFTP, FlashFXP. Etc ...) to access your Private FTP server ! No problem => FTP Explorer is the solution to turn your web browser or windows explorer in your FTP client !
An old screenshot of this tool :

Source Code :
I'd just translate this old french (2012 version) to english (2017 version) for you !
Hope that can help you !
Code: [Select]
Title = "FTP EXPLORER © Hackoo © 2017"
    Set objIE = CreateObject( "InternetExplorer.Application" )
    objIE.Navigate "about:blank"
    objIE.Document.Title = Title
    objIE.ToolBar        = False
    objIE.Resizable      = False
    objIE.StatusBar      = False
    objIE.Width          = 320
    objIE.Height         = 390
    ScreenWidth = objIE.document.ParentWindow.screen.width
    ScreenHeight = objIE.document.ParentWindow.screen.height
    objIE.Left = (ScreenWidth  - objIE.Width ) \ 2
    objIE.Top  = (ScreenHeight - objIE.Height) \ 2
    Do While objIE.Busy
        WScript.Sleep 200
    Loop
    objIE.Document.Body.InnerHTML = "<div align=""center""><p><h3 style='color:Red'>UserName " _
    & "<br><input type=""text"" style='color:Blue' size=""20"" " _
    & "id=""Login"" value=""put your user name here""></h3></p>"_
    & "</p><p><h3 style='color:Red'>Password<br><input type=""password"" style='color:Blue' value=""Put your password here"" size=""20"" " _
    & "id=""Password""></h3></p><p><input type=" _
    & """hidden"" id=""OK"" name=""OK"" value=""0"">" _
    & "<h3 style='color:Red'>FTP Server " _
    & "id=""FTPSERVER"" value=""ftp.server.com""></h3>"_
    & "<br><h3 style='color:Red'>Remote Folder "_
    & "id=""DossierDistant"" value=""/www""></h3></p>"_
    & "<input type=""submit"" value="" Browse your FTP Folder"" " _
    & "onclick=""VBScript:OK.Value=1""></p></div>"
    objIE.Document.Body.Style.overflow = "auto"
    objIE.Document.body.style.backgroundcolor="lightGreen"
    objIE.Visible = True
    objIE.Document.All.Password.Focus
    On Error Resume Next
    Do While objIE.Document.All.OK.Value = 0
        WScript.Sleep 200
        If Err Then   
            IELogin = Array( "", "" )
            objIE.Quit
            Set objIE = Nothing
            wscript.quit
        End if
    Loop
    On Error Goto 0
    Set ws = CreateObject("wscript.Shell")
    Login = objIE.Document.All.Login.Value
    Login = Replace(Login,"@","+")'If your username contains the @ symbol, and your web browser does not support this, you can substitute for the +
    Password = objIE.Document.All.Password.Value
    FTPSERVER = objIE.Document.All.FTPSERVER.Value
    DossierDistant = objIE.Document.All.DossierDistant.Value
    URL = "ftp://"&Login&":"&Password&"@"&FTPSERVER&"/"&DossierDistant
    Connect2FTP = ws.run("Explorer "& URL ,1,False)
    objIE.Quit
ws.Popup "Connecting to "&qq(FTPSERVER)&" is in progress ..........",3,"Connecting to "&qq(FTPSERVER)&" is in progress ..........",64
    Set objIE = Nothing
    Set ws = Nothing
    Close("iexplore.exe")
'****************************************************
Sub Close(Process)
    Set Ws = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    Command = "cmd /c Taskkill /F /IM "&Process&""
    Execution = Ws.Run(Command,0,True)
End Sub
Function qq(strIn)
    qq = Chr(34) & strIn & Chr(34)
End Function
Download in the attachements :
You can download this vbscript in the attachements below !

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]