Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Increase PS4 Storage  (Read 2997 times)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Increase PS4 Storage
    « on: July 29, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
    I bought a  PS4  for myself last year, with the 500 GB Drive.  I kind of all ready filled that an added a few GB using Thumb Drives but, not sure how to configure it to store games on them like the Xbox

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Increase PS4 Storage
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
    The hard drive can be removed and a larger drive installed. Once a larger drive is installed when booting the PS4 it will initialize the drive and claim it for PS4 use. When connecting to the PlayStation Store you can re-download games that you purchased through the store .... Might Take a While as for games can be quite large. Save the 500GB drive to the side in case larger drive ever dies or format it and use it in a laptop or some other application where you have a need for 500GB storage.

I have been told that the hard drive replacement/upgrade process is the same for the PS4 as it is for the PS3 in that it will recognize a bare drive and it will create the partition and the handshake to the replacement or larger drive.

I have done this process for a PS3 and with the PS3 its a very simple swap. And actually the PS3 I got for free because the Hard Drive was crashed. I pulled a 40GB SATA HDD from an old laptop and put that into it and was back up and running in less than a half hour. Once connected to PlaySation store I was able to download games to the 40GB SATA HDD. So I have Minecraft, Diablo 3, and Little Big Planet 1, 2 and 3 and Hamster Ball on it for my daughter, in which I play Diablo 3 on it occasionally, but prefer it more on PC for controls etc.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »
      I was meaning more of an External Drive, add on.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »
      Here is all info you should need ... mainly it needs to be 250GB minimum 8TB maximum and USB 3.0 ... Also what they should have in RED is that any other data on this external drive will be deleted when joined with a PS4. It formats and pairs the drive for use with the PS4 and likely has antipiracy attached to that external to keep you from sharing the external drive with friends is my guess or they just rely on their authentication service to approve or disapprove use of titles. Or quite possibly the minute that external drive connects to a different system it wants to format it because its hardware address is a mismatch to the original PS4 etc. https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PS4-External-HDD-Support

If you got this to work with lesser than 250GB thumb drives then your lucky as for its outside of the specs listed.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
      Dave - just a reminder - this guy is the current incarnation of Squall. He'll spin your wheels endlessly if you allow him.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »
       ;D Thanks for the heads up Allan

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
      this guy is the current incarnation of Squall.
      I thought he would have grown up by now.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »
        Not sure what the Troll is talking about  :-\

I bought a Terra Drive  an took out the 500 GB Drive.  It asks me for a firmware update, which, I downloaded to a usb drive an tried preforming the update an isn't able to

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 08:34:27 AM »
          I was able to  get my data backed up but, I still get this error mesage though I'm doing everything right.

The update file can not be used. Connect a USB Storage device that contains an update file for instillation for version 4.72...

(CE-34788-0)

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 08:43:32 AM »
          Endless wheel spinning. Thread Locked