Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there any other way I can do a REPAIR install?  (Read 3547 times)

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Is there any other way I can do a REPAIR install?
    « on: July 30, 2017, 06:08:59 PM »
    I need to do a repair install of Windows 7.  But, when I put the installation disk in and go through the process it seems I have to click on "upgrade".  That seems to be the only way to do a repair install where you won't lose your files and programs.  But, I want to stay with Windows 7.  I saw no other way so I clicked "upgrade" and after it does it's thing I get this message:

Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade.
    How could that be?  I have Windows 7 - that's not the latest version. 
    Is there any other way I can do a REPAIR install?
    I've heard you can do an install from a usb zip drive, but I don't think you can do a repair install that way can you?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:28:22 PM by SuperDave »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is there any other way I can do a REPAIR install?
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
    From a healthy Windows 7 system you can create a repair disc and burn that to a DVD-R. They are specific for 32 and 64 bit and home vs pro etc, so you will want one that matches your specific version of Windows. That disc then might call upon the original media you have to replace damaged files etc.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Is there any other way I can do a REPAIR install?
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "