Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS PAINT .... Windows 10 .. Microsoft considered its removal in an update  (Read 6461 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The U.S. technology company recently released a list which labeled Paint "deprecated", meaning it was considering removing the app when the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update gets released later this year.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/25/microsoft-paint-not-dead.html

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Paint is great for when I want to do some minor editing to an image file.  I don't need something like photoshop for what I do and even the MS Paint 3D app is more than I need.  Glad it's going to stick around even though in the future looks like I'll have to manually install it from the Store instead of it being automatically included.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
It's sort of interesting that all the sites say MS Paint is from 1985, as MS Paint was first introduced in 1995 and replaced Windows Paintbrush.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
It will be available as a DLoad...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
I use it myself for screenshots and very basic cutting right angle objects out of screenshots etc. One feature I wish they added to MS Paint was the ability to hold left-click and cut a custom area vs a box or rectangle only. But I guess thats why professionals use the better products out there from adobe etc for that sort of thing. Years ago when wanting to add a friends picture to a custom background I had to go in and zoom at the pixel level and try to integrate him therewith rounded features that are jagged blocks when zoomed in, but at normal view almost invisible as a retirement card picture to give him when I didnt have access to any better software. He was a Trekkie and was the grounds keeper for the business and so we had him with his riding lawnmower on a Star Trek alien planet with the original Star Trek crew. He got a kick out of it, but it wasnt the best quality graphic editing.  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Come to think of it, besides launching it a few times since this news appeared (And probably firing it up a few times on older systems that didn't have any software installed), I don't remember the last time I actually made use of MSPaint. I do remember using it on Windows XP. I use Photoshop for it all now; More options for optimizing PNG's as well with the "Save For Web or Devices" Option as well.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Microsoft said in a blog post it saw an "incredible outpouring of support and nostalgia around MS Paint" on Monday and that the program is "here to stay."

As of last year, the app still had over 100 million monthly users.

Are they tracking peoples app habits with Windows 10 to know how frequently apps/software is used.  :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Are they tracking peoples app habits with Windows 10 to know how frequently apps/software is used.  :-\

Yes, Windows 10 and the universal App Platform track and report loads of information about app usage, crashes, and so forth.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
I believe they also received complaints from users enrolled in the Windows 10 Insider Preview programs, me being one of them.   ;D   

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
INTERESTING  :o

I can see some info good as far as crash reporting which they have had for years to make products better to not crash etc... which was optional... which might no longer be optional, but to track software/app activity to me to see peoples behavior even if not tracking specific info but still somewhat anonymous for statistical marketing purposes, that still is discomforting that I am being used for marketing. Its like Market Research, but they dont pay the people for the info they gather from them.

Google already does this, but its nice that Google and me have a separation at the browser exit, so when the browser is exited or Google not used, everything else I do is unknown and private. The product they offer is free at the price that they gather info on whats trending in search criteria etc and make money selling this info as well as directing people to paid for top of the search list websites first etc.

Years ago I use to get paid money for Marketing Research and it was fun... try new products, rate it, and answer questions to a panel of marketing professionals and get $50 for trying the new flavor of Bubble Gum and giving honest opinions. To me I have 2 issues I guess ... #1 is that its not optional from looking for ways to get around it, and #2 I'm not getting paid for providing them with info that helps them make more money. http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/617168/Windows-10-Tracking-Keylogger-Not-Stopped

Sighs  ::)

Nothing to really hide, but another reason why me and Windows 7 and Linux Distros are likely my future more so then Windows 10. I have a brand new Core i3 Dell Laptop that came with it and I havent used it yet. It was one of those deals that was too good to pass up at $279.99 on black friday. I'm still using my ASUS laptop with Celeron M1000 1.8Ghz Dual-Core with Windows 7 when the Dell Core i3 2.1Ghz is a better CPU but Windows 8.x, and Windows 10 feels like nails on a chalk board every time I work with it. Plus to find this out makes that sound on the chalk board louder to stay away from it :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
You can disable it all, with a little work. Some stuff doesn't work afterwards however it is all stuff that was never present in Win7 anyway. Personally, I have the diagnostics/telemetry turned off and also have Windows Update set to fully manual on my main desktop and laptop, for example.

I'm not sure actually if it tracks stuff outside of UWP. It looks like the "over 100 million users" is from CNN, not from Microsoft. So it might be based on some other information source than tracking or anything like that.

Now regardless I fully understand their desire for telemetry information- Heck I added telemetry information/logging to the stuff we make- but like you mention Dave that only tracked information regarding our Applications, and we use it for tracking what features/components actually get used, how often, and also can look at it when things go poorly by matching up timestamps with error info. I don't like that I have to strongly assert that I don't want to have information traced, logged, and fired off to their servers, though I can see why as the harder and more technologically inclined a user needs to be the more information they are going to receive about how their software is used.

On the desktop and laptop I use primarily, I disabled the Diagnostics and Telemetry services/capability via group policy editor as well as by disabling a few services, along with adjustments like making Windows Update 100% manually handled (I have to start it myself).

That article you linked is sensationalist drivel, though; it's from 2 years ago and is very inaccurate. For example it refers to the tracking of questions you type into Cortana as a keylogger and says it applies systemwide. They did not do any research or investigation; that feature can be turned off in the privacy settings and only applied to certain Cortana interaction components.