Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booting to Windows Issue – Inconsistent Subsequent Black Screen  (Read 2959 times)

anonalchemist

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Issue:

From a cold boot, the system gets past the POST screen. Boot sequence is successful up until after the Windows 10 loading screen, of which inconsistently (1 out of 7 attempts average) results in a black screen afterwards. Monitors do not detect input. All fans are spinning – system is non-responsive to any input afterwards (keyboard is not lit up).

System was newly built 3 months ago. Thoroughly stability tested and ran issue free for 2 months (this issue has been happening in the past month).

Specs:

* Windows 10
    * RAM @ 3200Ghz
    * EVGA 750W B2
    * Ryzen 1600 @ 3.75Ghz
    * MX 200 SSD
    * GTX 1070
    * MSI B350 Tomahawk

Troubleshooting:

Only workaround so far is to perform a forced shutdown via power button and turn the system back on (and hope for the best). So far, the issue has not persisted twice in a row on boot attempts.

I had a thought to downclock the CPU to default (and RAM) as well, however I would figure that with instabilities, they would not allow the system to POST. In addition, the issue appears to be new.

I also have Event Viewer Logs from “System” events available as needed – not sure where to upload these if they are helpful.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Booting to Windows Issue – Inconsistent Subsequent Black Screen
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »
    I'd run memtest86 on your RAM to make sure that all is ok, let it run for like 5 full tests. Reseat RAM and make sure Jaws are locked to RAM. You can even try with a single stick of RAM to see if the problem completely vanishes to know if your on the memory issue path or not.

Other causes of a black screen is a power supply that has a low voltage rail, so you can try a different power supply if you have one available.

Lastly is I'd suspect the motherboard only because I have had horrible experiences with MSI brand boards failing.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:15:24 PM »
    Some thoughts. A black screen is not likely to have an event log that means anything. The blue screen shows when the system finds an error and does a quick report of what happened. A black screen with not keyboard means the systems did a cold hard fatal crash. Unless the Video system failed, but lack of keyboard light would indicate a CPU crash. Otherwise, if the CPU is still in an idle loop, you clan toggle the CAPS lock on and off. Also NUM lock and scroll lock.

My best suggestion  is to try and prove it is a hardware fault and not a OS fault. You would do that my using another OS from an alternative boot device. Do you have another working system with Windows 10? If so, the following might help.

Make a Windows to Go boot USB thing. This requires a high-performance USB flash drive and a good working Windows 10 system. The objective is to boot the fairing PC with he Windows to Go USB device and see how long you can use it to perform normal tasks. If you never ever get the black screen again, you can conclude that is t not a hardware issue at all. (Yes, there is an exception to this rule. But let's do that later.)

Cain you get a Windows to Go device ready?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/196817/how-to-create-a-windows-to-go-usb-drive-without-the-enterprise-edition/

If that is not possible, I would suggest booting up a diagnostic program that does not require install to HDD. Here are some possibilities:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zw09qcyHJs
    Skip the ad...
    I hope that is of some help.  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
    One thing I forgot to mention earlier is also.... undo any overclocking if your overclocking anything and run everything normal clock as well. I have seen overclocks trip up at the start up that cause black screens, however usually a BIOS will detect the trip up and warn you that the overclock isnt stable, and it will then switch itself back to out of the overclock spec to normal spec, however its been a while since I have messed with a MSI brand board so anything is possible.  :-\

pcurtj1974

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:52:58 AM »
    What happens in safe mode?

Issue:

From a cold boot, the system gets past the POST screen. Boot sequence is successful up until after the Windows 10 loading screen, of which inconsistently (1 out of 7 attempts average) results in a black screen afterwards. Monitors do not detect input. All fans are spinning – system is non-responsive to any input afterwards (keyboard is not lit up).

System was newly built 3 months ago. Thoroughly stability tested and ran issue free for 2 months (this issue has been happening in the past month).

Specs:

* Windows 10
    * RAM @ 3200Ghz
    * EVGA 750W B2
    * Ryzen 1600 @ 3.75Ghz
    * MX 200 SSD
    * GTX 1070
    * MSI B350 Tomahawk

Troubleshooting:

Only workaround so far is to perform a forced shutdown via power button and turn the system back on (and hope for the best). So far, the issue has not persisted twice in a row on boot attempts.

I had a thought to downclock the CPU to default (and RAM) as well, however I would figure that with instabilities, they would not allow the system to POST. In addition, the issue appears to be new.

I also have Event Viewer Logs from “System” events available as needed – not sure where to upload these if they are helpful.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »
    No need to quote prior posts when responding...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "