Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: missing files!  (Read 2297 times)

Ejewett

missing files!
« on: December 09, 2005, 11:43:14 PM »
k i was watching a movie on my computer the previous night, the .mpg files etc are kept on my other hardrive in a folder called movies, i went to watch another movie the next day and the folder is empty, after doing a system restore and using multiple appz to try and restore my missing files no go, so i go to delete the folder because this is still taking up 5 gigs worth of disk space and it says the folder is not empty, ive tried all the dumbass checks already so now i figure im screwed its not a matter of saving my files anymore its how do i save my hardrive before it becomes a cup coaster or blunt beating object! please somebody tell me what i need to know!

Dell4700

Re: missing files!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 01:14:16 AM »
There are currently 100's of different disk repair/data recovery programs.  Google for them and choose.

If you have it, you can use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor to try to recover your drive.  The utilities are also included with most of Symantec's bundled software packages (SystemWorks, etc.):  http://www.symantec.com/product/

Dell

Ejewett

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 09:36:48 AM »
it appears that the registy values for the files are invalid after running a registry scan....i went to make a new folder in the drive and it said cyclic redundancy check?
my comp sucks fat donkey *censored*?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 10:00:59 AM »
I did a google search for you which took about 1 second for lots of entries (you really should try it!)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cyclic+redundancy+check&btnG=Google+Search

I then did a search for "my comp sucks fat donkey thingy? " and got YES
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 10:02:03 AM by GX1_Man »

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 10:36:49 AM »
    The Lord giveth and the lord taketh away...  :-X

;D

Were movies ok from ethical view?  ;) :D
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Mac

Missing files!
    « Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 10:54:36 AM »
    Have you tried unhiding your hidden files to see if these files turn up?

Click on the link below and see about... Taking Ownership of Files and Folders in Windows XP

Ejewett

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 09:14:08 PM »
    so i tried using all the programs i could find and nothing....so i tired making a folder inside the movies folder and everytime i went back in it was gone...so my buddy came over and had a look, couldnt find out what was wrong so he called his friend turns out my hard drive is failing...thanks for the help anyways, it was appreciated

Mac

Missing files!
    « Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 11:18:23 PM »
    So now you should get two drives, a 20 GB Master and whatever size you need Slave as a Storage drive.

You may be able to improve on drive-speed and drive-buffer size and may want to use an 80-wire IDE cable.

Drive fitting - USB to IDE Adaptor - IDE Cable
    DRIVE

Good luck!