Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card to Motherboard Chipset performance Question  (Read 2645 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Video Card to Motherboard Chipset performance Question
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
I looked on google and didnt find the answer i was looking for.

Question I have is...

Does a motherboard chipset bottleneck the potential of a PCI-E 16x slot. That is if the PCI-E 16x slot is a 2.0 slot is it the same among all motherboards with the PCI-E 16x 2.0 slot or will a motherboard with say a PCI-E 16x 2.0 slot with an older nVidia NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nforce430a chipset perform differently than a newer board with AMD 760G / SB710 chipset.

I already have the parts, but just trying to determine if its worth mixing guts for any performance gain when the CPU and RAM is the same and only difference is a newer chipset motherboard used.

If I went through this motherboard swap another pro is that I'd raise my max memory to 8GB from 4GB. But knowing whether the video card would perform better in one board vs the other based on mainly just a chipset change has sparked my curiosity. If I did this, I would have to perform a completely new clean install of Windows 7 64 bit too which I am avoiding if there isnt a video card performance gain in newer chipset. Just having an extra 4GB RAM to me isnt really worth bothering with going through a rebuild of parts. The system now runs fine on 4GB with older games and some newer stuff, but there are also times that the 4GB RAM is running at 95% and not much free memory, especially if Firefox is up and a game at same time. I can free up almost 800MB RAM by closing Firefox and running game.

Hardware info in case more info is needed is:

Original Motherboard is a Biostar MCP6PB M2+ http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=387#specification

Motherboard I am considering upgrading to for this older build using everything from prior build no other hardware changes same CPU and RAM and Video Card is Biostar A760G M2+  http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=394#specification

Video Card is EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130398

With no integrated video used and the memory controller for RAM built into the Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz CPU. I am curious if the PCI-E 16x 2.0 BUS is at all affected by a chipset bottleneck.  :-\

Computer_Commando

Hacker
Re: Video Card to Motherboard Chipset performance Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »
I've given up on all the AMD's.
The on board USB3.0's run at less than 2.0 speed.

Latest event was:
Remove PCI-e USB 3.0 card from Intel machine, insert into Athlon II x4.  It killed the motherboard, wouldn't even POST.  Put the same card back into the Intel machine & it worked like it always did.

I wouldn't waste money upgrading any of them.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
To my understanding (which, as usual, could very well be wrong, particularly with newer stuff!) PCIE 2.0 cannot be reduces to, say, PCIE 1.0. Instead What can happen is an expansion card might get fewer PCI-E Lanes then is optimal.

Now, that said, I've also never heard of on-board graphics chipsets affecting performance of installed dedicated cards in this way. Typically when you install a dedicated graphics card, if the motherboard as a separate, on-board chipset, it disables altogether specifically to avoid the problem of the on-board using up PCI-E lanes and causing the dedicated card to throttle to say 8x lanes.

This reduction can happen when you populate specific slots. Some motherboards have two x16 slots, but if both are populated, then they both run at 8x. I'd guess that internally they are just "one slot"  that gets divvied up between two physical slots. I experienced this first hand without even realizing until, probably a year later, I started up GPU-Z to look at some detail of the card and noticed it listed it was running at 8x speed. The cause was that I had installed an expansion card into the other x16 slot over a year before.

I partly agree with Computer_Commando, as I think spending money on these sorts of upgrades is sort of throwing money down a hole; money which realistically you could instead put towards a much more modern system, which can be one of AMDs many more modern CPUs. Even using the lowest end components on the market today (eg value-oriented components) would likely outperform the Athlon II x4, which you can then repurpose for other tasks.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:28:21 PM »
Thanks for both of your inputs on this. I wouldnt be spending any money, I already have all the parts.  I guess I typed so much trying not to miss any important details that it got hidden among all I typed.  ;D

I guess this question all started because I hear online people talk about going with this one board vs another because it has a better chipset. ( Not in regards to the two boards I have here, but other boards between bargain boards and/or gaming boards for example etc which can both run the same CPU, RAM, and Video Card.... so they should benchmark the same, but one is better than another without overclocking ect because the chipset comes into play).

I guess I was thinking that a chipset could affect the performance with two boards that both can run the same CPU, RAM, and Video card, but one chipset vs another might yield a lesser overall performance because of a limitation in the board as a result of the chipset even if both boards are PCI-E 16x 2.0, SATA II, and USB 2.0 etc because the motherboard functions that the chipset handles may be stronger in one chipset vs another even with integrated video disabled in the chipset because a video card is in use instead.

I never did much research into chipsets other than which chipsets support what CPU upgrade path, or what CPUs etc such as back in the days of Intel socket 775 motherboards, you had to be really careful or else you could pick up a board that only supported Pentium 4 or Pentium D, or Dual-Core processor support only, and would have to double check that a motherboards chipset supported a quadcore and if so which ones. Then there are the oddball boards that are rated for a maximum of 65 watt processor but by which they have chipsets that support a quadcore, but you then need to use 65 watt quadcore CPU instead of 95 watt quadcore CPU or else risk cooking lightweight VRMs etc. Then on top of this what the BIOS supported for microcode for which CPUs are compatible with current or a later flash version.

pcurtj1974

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
I think the best advise is to go buy some PC diag kit. There are pci-e , cpu, sata power supply, thermal devices, ohm sensors .. and you can use them easily to see exactly what is happening, and test a product before you install it, so it wont blow out your module or system.  I had a internal media card reader with a faulty ohm resistor blow out the +5 rail and kill the MB and CPU. I fixed the MB and experimented with the cpu, and eventually it powered my home made Tower. If you buy these and use them correctly, you build will last a long time and operate at max capacity, and problems will be addressed before they arise.