Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wjat Ever Happended to WinAmp Music Player?  (Read 2742 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Wjat Ever Happended to WinAmp Music Player?
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:41:28 PM »
Itr has nee around for years and is perhasp the oldest besetest Music Player ever.
Now it has been eaten by a huge big thing.  :(
Not really news, just new to some of use who didn;t notice. Like me. Only when I went to download a new copy I found taht things have changed a lot.

Here is another user who also laments the loss of Winamp.
Winamp’s woes: How the greatest MP3 player undid itself
Winamp's 15-year anniversary is now upon us, with little fanfare. It’s almost as if the Internet has forgotten about the upstart with the odd slogan that looked at one time like it would be the company to revolutionize digital music. It certainly had the opportunity.
Good Bye old frined. :'( 

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Wjat Ever Happended to WinAmp Music Player?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:39:38 PM »
yes, when I couldn't update it (years ago) and that's what made me discover VLC which I rate just as highly.
plays everything I've ever thrown at it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Wjat Ever Happended to WinAmp Music Player?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:25 AM »
I am still using Winamp, version 5.623. No plans to change as no other music player has proven itself as versatile to me. MediaMonkey, Foobar2000, MusicBee, XMPlay - At best I could hope for it to be the same, but I've yet to have an alternative even get there. Part of my music library includes music from games, which I have in their native formats. I have winamp plugins for countless dozens of video game and computer systems which emulate the sound chips and play that music. I'm not about to spend countless hours converting those files into standard audio files to switch to another Music player software without a very, very good reason, and being more recently released or updated doesn't matter to me any more than having shuffled the UI around would.

The really weird thing is I've found that often when I mention this on forums suddenly I'm dogpiled with suggestions, as if getting me to stop using Winamp is like getting some poor homeless person off the street. I don't get that mindset. "What about X didn't you like" or "Have you tried Y" or "You know Z provides <Winamp feature I never mentioned nor care about>".

I don't expect Winamp to be surpassed because it's "type" of software has been largely surpassed. Nowadays very few people actually keep t heir music local. They either use one of the many storefronts and keep the music "in the cloud" and download it only to play it, or they use one of the variety of streaming services or Internet Radio. But I'm old fashioned and like to have propriety over the music file itself. I feel the same about video as well (For which I don't use Winamp)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.