Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC goes into frozen state, not sending signal to peripherals  (Read 5344 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PC goes into frozen state, not sending signal to peripherals
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
of course solving the problem means figuring out the cause :P (or stumbling upon a fix) one of which hopefully we can do here...

I read back and see you ran Memtest for 12 hours. I think we can eliminate not only the ram but generally consider the motherboard to probably be fine, at least in terms of more major hardware problems. (eg failing components like capacitors).

There are Kernel-Power events as I mentioned, but they merely log that the system didn't shut down cleanly- There are no antecedent and consistent event information before each instance which would suggest a specific cause in each case. This is consistent with a hardware-related problem. Though a system hang as you have described is typically going to point in that direction anyway.

Now, one thing that is sticking out to me now, looking over it again, is a few instances of disk errors like the following

The IO operation at logical block address 0x63d41e3 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\00000047) was retried.

These don't appear consistently before what looks to be the hang issues (unexpected shutdown startups) But it is possible we are only seeing the successful retries, and that there are disk errors which are causing the system to hang when it attempts to retry the block operation- in which case no event data would be written, particularly if the disk affected is the one backing the event log (how do you write data if the drive isn't responding?).

This leads me back to my chkdsk /r suggestion, run in an administrator command prompt followed by a reboot, which performs a full surface scan of the disk. This will take a few hours. It will either find possible bad sectors and mark them bad so they stop being accessed, find no problems and eliminate the HDD as the culprit, or freeze which points at the HDD possibly as having a hardware failure.

There is also the Power Management options If you have any Power management features enabled- processor power saving, etc. in Control Panel, you can try turning those off. incompatibilities or hardware problems can cause attempts to utilize power management capabilities to hang the system.

Beyond that, you could also test the system with a known-good Power Supply (Yes I  do see that the PSU was replaced but the replacement could be faulty as well).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

flipshock8

Topic Starter

Rookie

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
UPDATE: I found a Driver CD for my GPU (never knew i had one) and i installed it, even though its extremely outdated.It also had some DirectX updates and a tool called ThunderMaster which is made by the company that made the Graphics Card), maybe this did something aswell. For some reason i havent had a crash all day. Ill still let the disk thing run overnight, that you told me. Will report back if any crashes happen and if the disk has bad sectors or not.

flipshock8

Topic Starter

Rookie

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 04:29:29 AM »
UPDATE: I let the disk checkup run, didnt give me any message since it had to be run on startup (dont know if its supposed to even). Havent had crashes in the last 3 days, except when more win updates popped up and i installed them. Got the crashes again and reverted to the last savepoint (dont know how its called in english), and they were gone again. I guess ill just never install updates again x)

Thanks for all the help!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 07:00:09 AM »
Havent had crashes in the last 3 days, except when more win updates popped up and i installed them. Got the crashes again and reverted to the last savepoint (dont know how its called in english), and they were gone again.

This caught my eye...what i think is happening is when you run updates Win is overriding the installed vid card driver for some reason...
To avoid the freezes simply re-install the vid driver after any updates...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "