Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Newly bought mouse pad is not working  (Read 3269 times)

kerocen

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Newly bought mouse pad is not working
    « on: August 14, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
    Hi,

I have bought a new mouse pad recently. It is the red Havit HV-GJ10, a silicone mouse pad.
    All my mouses cannot work on its surface, they are Logitech M185, Logitech M235, Logitech MK3250.

Why?  ??? I thought buying a mouse pad is just like buying a sandal.. it just works as is, plug and play, there is no specification/decision needed in choosing one (it is just an home-office mouse pad). Additionally, my mouses work well on any other surface, except the new mouse pad.

Do you think I should get a replacement? and I wonder if there is any explanation for this problem?  ???

Sorry if this question seems stupid. Thanks in advance  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Newly bought mouse pad is not working
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
    Optical and Laser mice work by "watching" the surface below the sensor and detecting movement. If a surface is too homogenous, it can have difficulty detecting that movement or the degree of movement.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
    Not a stupid question at all. I have issues with some surfaces with my laser mice. If you really like the mouse pad and dont want to part with it, you could get rid of the gloss and it might work better. To get rid of gloss though would require taking a fine grain sand paper to mouse surface to get rid of the gloss. Once the glossy finish is gone it should work. But you dont want any deep pitting, just to rub it evenly all over surface to remove the gloss and then it should fix the issue.

Myself I have a glass surface table that laser mice dont work on, and I have a cereal box that I cut the one side of cardboard out of it and put the print side down so I just have the brown paper upwards. I place my laptop on top of part of the cardboard to hold it in place and then my mouse on the exposed right hand corner of laptop where laser mouse is and it works awesome. Even works great for notation when no paper around. And when this cereal box mouse pad gets too written on etc, just cut out another as we eat cereal in our home.

I actually prefer the mouse on a more level to surface pad as for otherwise I get w wrist cramp if the mouse is on a thick pad in relation to arm resting on table edge etc. So the thin cardboard for me works awesome and its free.  ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
    Is the mouse pad plugged in ? ?..,proper drivers installed ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
    Did you flip the pad over?  I like the back side better.  8)

kerocen

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:06:17 AM »
      Is the mouse pad plugged in ? ?..,proper drivers installed ? ?

well haha, its just an ordinary mouse pad, no cable attached.thankyou for your reply btw.

Did you flip the pad over?  I like the back side better.  8)

literally haha xD
      the back side its sticky tho

Not a stupid question at all. I have issues with some surfaces with my laser mice. If you really like the mouse pad and dont want to part with it, you could get rid of the gloss and it might work better. To get rid of gloss though would require taking a fine grain sand paper to mouse surface to get rid of the gloss. Once the glossy finish is gone it should work. But you dont want any deep pitting, just to rub it evenly all over the surface to remove the gloss and then it should fix the issue.

Myself I have a glass surface table that laser mice don't work on, and I have a cereal box that I cut the one side of cardboard out of it and put the print side down so I just have the brown paper upwards. I place my laptop on top of part of the cardboard to hold it in place and then my mouse on the exposed right hand corner of laptop where laser mouse is and it works awesome. Even works great for notation when no paper around. And when this cereal box mouse pad gets too written on etc, just cut out another as we eat cereal in our home.

I actually prefer the mouse on a more level to surface pad as for otherwise I get w wrist cramp if the mouse is on a thick pad in relation to arm resting on table edge etc. So the thin cardboard for me works awesome and its free.  ;D

oh yeah, I get it now. thank you so much for your information. Your method works on me. And using a cereal box is creative dude. :)

Optical and Laser mice work by "watching" the surface below the sensor and detecting movement. If a surface is too homogenous, it can have difficulty detecting that movement or the degree of movement.

I see. Now I get it. my mouse pad is too glossy and homogenous indeed. thank you for your reply.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »
      BC is right. The Optical mouse depends on a surface taht is not polished.
      See here:
      https://hardforum.com/threads/optical-mouse-not-working-on-white-paper.1848614/
      Also:
      https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Engage_Optical_Mouse_Troubleshooting

Get a pad that is not polished.
      A bit of cardboard works.
      Or a photograph with matte finish.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:28:39 AM »
      the matt finish is definitely part of a good pad.
      personally, any I've seen with pictures or any pattern at all can also make the mouse 'skip'.

a simple monochrome, matt, hard surface will give you years of service. (an A4 sheet of paper folded in half has gotten me out of many 'mouse not working' instances)