Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive from water/coffee damaged laptop  (Read 3872 times)

SlayerC

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Hard drive from water/coffee damaged laptop
    « on: August 14, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
    Hello,

Hopefully this is the correct place for this:

A few weeks ago I completely ruined my laptop by spilling a whole cup of coffee on it. I immediately turned the laptop off, etc. Once the laptop dried out it wouldnt boot up. It did initially, but ultimately it wouldn't.

My question: If I connected the hard drive from aforementioned laptop into my new laptop, via a caddy/usb, is it possible that the hard drive could damage my new laptop?

Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hard drive from water/coffee damaged laptop
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
    Connected via USB if the drive is toast the worst it would do is blow the caddy. There is a chip that translates the drive from SATA to USB communications and so there is a level of isolation. I wouldnt connect the drive directly to laptop installing internally but its ok if connected externally via USB.

SlayerC

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »
      Connected via USB if the drive is toast the worst it would do is blow the caddy. There is a chip that translates the drive from SATA to USB communications and so there is a level of isolation. I wouldnt connect the drive directly to laptop installing internally but its ok if connected externally via USB.

So, the USB route Is fine? Good to know.

There was no way on earth I was going to plug the hard drive internally, as that would be russial roulette time.

I'm buying the replacement laptop on Saturday.

Thanks for your help, mate.  :)

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:42:22 AM »
      It's doubtful that the drive from the dead laptop could damage another computer regardless of whether you connect it internally or via USB, even if the drive itself is bad.  More than likely, the drive was not effected ae all by the spill.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
      I agree that doubtful it will hurt anything connected direct. But doubtful isnt 100%, so if you want a layer of protection / isolation to protect from shorted signals then an external caddy or external hard drive case will add a layer of protection/isolation and the caddy or external enclosures USB to SATA converter board would take the hit instead.

I already have an external USB dock myself that accepts 2.5 and 3.5" drives and so if it were me, I'd go the safest route. But if you want to save money at the low risk of damage then you can connect directly. Your odds of killing a computer with this drive connected directly is very low, but I have to state that there is a small risk if connecting a drive that could have been dunked direct.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:52:56 PM »
      There a some videos that deal with this problem.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tASvbnODtq4
      {Skip the ads..}
      The methods used are what people really do to fix a water damaged laptop. Teally.

SlayerC

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
        Thanks, all.  :)

SlayerC

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »
          There a some videos that deal with this problem.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tASvbnODtq4
          {Skip the ads..}
          The methods used are what people really do to fix a water damaged laptop. Teally.

Thanks for that, sadly it's a little too late as I had to pretty much tear the machjne apart in order to open it.

I dont know who screwed the screws in, but they were in so tight that they were either warped into the wood or they were Thor's screws. Either way, I couldn't budge them. It got the point where I felt I had no alternative.

It's a shame, too, as it was a reliable unit.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
          Sorry to hear that.  :-\

SlayerC

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »
            Sorry to hear that.  :-\

Me, too. It wasn't close to the most expensive laptop I've ever bought, but it lasted the longest and was still in great condition.

I'm still gutted that it's in the laptop land in the sky.

SlayerC

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
              I agree that doubtful it will hurt anything connected direct. But doubtful isnt 100%, so if you want a layer of protection / isolation to protect from shorted signals then an external caddy or external hard drive case will add a layer of protection/isolation and the caddy or external enclosures USB to SATA converter board would take the hit instead.

I already have an external USB dock myself that accepts 2.5 and 3.5" drives and so if it were me, I'd go the safest route. But if you want to save money at the low risk of damage then you can connect directly. Your odds of killing a computer with this drive connected directly is very low, but I have to state that there is a small risk if connecting a drive that could have been dunked direct.

Thanks for that.

I have important work on the drive, which is why I wanted desperately to get to it. I'll connect it to the USB Caddy.

I'll have a warranty with my next laptop, so if the worst comes to the worst then I'll plead inoccentand say that the laptop was like that when I got it.  :P

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
              No idea why it was so difficult to remove the HDD...
              That being said an external enclosure is the best choice...
              You want 1 thats powered A/C...you also have options as to what HDD's are accomodated...mine can take any HDD made...and has a cooling fan as well...so dont buy a cheapo.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SlayerC

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »
                No idea why it was so difficult to remove the HDD...
                That being said an external enclosure is the best choice...
                You want 1 thats powered A/C...you also have options as to what HDD's are accomodated...mine can take any HDD made...and has a cooling fan as well...so dont buy a cheapo.

it didn't have a maintenance hatch, unfortunately. The screws were absolutely stuck. I lift weights and I couldn't budge the bloody things. I tried for a day and then just gave up the ghost.

My caddy is one that's entirely powered by the USBs (it has two). Which means it's not A/C powered. Would this lead to any complications?

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »
                I trust A/C more than USB for power...especially for data recovery...that's just me
                You may have zero issues...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 04:32:31 AM »
                I also trust the USB drive cases that are powered off their own power supply plugged into AC better than ones that are powered off of a USB port.

I have lost data on 2.5" drives that are powered off of USB before when USB power was interrupted through a dirty USB port power connection for example so I prefer the cases that come with their own power sources. The other day I needed to get another external hard drive and for $59.99 I could have gotten a 2.5" small external hard drive, but I paid the extra to get the larger one for $64.99 which housed a 3.5" hard drive of same capacity and has its own power supply which I have far more trust in, especially when powered through a battery backup UPS.