Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card and power supply upgrade  (Read 2991 times)

novadude

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    video card and power supply upgrade
    « on: August 15, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
    Hello. i have an asus desktop CM6870. https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/CM6870/specifications/   

I wish to upgrade the power supply from the 350W to a 500W supply so I can use a GTX 970 graphics card. What I wish to know is would the computer be able to handle The 500W supply without any issues. I contacted Asus and they keep telling me they dont support modding the systems so they cant tell me. But if anyone knows you can do this without any issues can you please let me know? Thank you very much

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: video card and power supply upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
    I can't see any reason why a standard power supply wouldn't work in that machine.  Just make sure that whatever you go for you get a decent power supply from a reputable brand, check out http://www.jonnyguru.com/ for proper in depth reviews and tests of power supplies.

novadude

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
      Thank you so much!

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
      your link to the specs is just for the off-the-shelf configuration.
      not knowing what, if anything, you have done as far as extra components, and with the new graphics cards being in the higher-end range, I'd personally be going for a PSU in the 600-750watt range.

not only for your immediate needs but it'll give you some future-proofing, like, for your next graphics card.  :D

that case is a standard form factor, so any ATX PSU will work.

you seemed concerned whether the PC would handle the new wattage - don't be, you can put whatever watt PSU you like, you won't 'blow' anything.
      there maybe more watts available but individual components will still only draw what they need from the 3v, 5v or 12v rails.