Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Categorizing  (Read 3863 times)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    • Experience: Beginner
    Categorizing
    « on: August 18, 2017, 04:56:21 AM »
    Hi ya fellas   I use Monzila Tunderbird for my mail.  Can my mail be categorized  in any way,, so that it comes in already labeled for my place for it please?  Anyone know pllz? 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Categorizing
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:15:37 AM »
    I have used filter rules in Thunderbird and it can help, but its not perfect. Have you played with filter rules yet in Thunderbird and how complex of a sorting do you need?

Be prepared to go chasing down stuff or find stuff in wrong places if a rule is not set up correctly or between two categories you have a positive filter match that acts like a false positive in a subject line etc.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/organize-your-messages-using-filters

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »
    Have you looked into any Thunderbird add ons?  Here's one I found that may help you:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/quickfilters/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
      « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
      Oh, I don't want to get into any complicated rigamarole's!   Deleting files I don''t want to keep is a chore getting as many mails as I do.  Just want to be able to direct incoming rubbish into one directory and easily so easily clean it out guys!    ::) ::) ::) ::)

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
      Well it doesnt have to be too complicated. Such as if you have clients or contacts that you want to go to one place and everything else another place thats not that hard to set up. Its harder when setting filter rules by subject line contents vs adding a list of known good e-mail sources you can have trusted or good sourced e-mail go to one place and rest goes to other or junk bin etc.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
      The only way it gets overwhelming is by not doin due diligence on an ongoing basis...

In TBird you can clik multi instances of lets say the same sender and create a folder for that...or delete if neccessary...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 07:41:13 PM »
      What email service are you using?  I find that gmail (Google's email service) does a good job of identifying spam and automatically sending it to a Spam folder.  So, perhaps you should make a transition from your current email service to gmail. 

Setting message rules can help, as mentioned in previous posts, but spammers have devious ways of constantly changing the sender's address, thereby thwarting the use of filters or rules to send spam to the Trash or Spam folder. 

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
        « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 04:09:22 AM »
        One would think that any decent mail program would automatically included a system of categorizing incoming mail.  .. Eh!   ??? ??? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »
        One would think that any decent mail program would automatically included a system of categorizing incoming mail.  .. Eh!   ??? ???

They do, The Message Filters Dave Mentioned, and which you dismissed as a "complicated rigamole".

An E-mail client isn't going to know the difference between Junk mail and mail you actually want unless you tell ithow to look for the Junk. There is no magic "Automatically move the things I don't want to X Folder" checkbox.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.