Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network computer Problem  (Read 3897 times)

Elredeye

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Network computer Problem
    « on: August 24, 2017, 10:24:04 PM »
    My work replaced their computers and I asked for one of their discards as it was the newest with Windows 7, but I found out that it contains a network setting asking for me to log in. Will I be able to remove these settings so that I can do a factory reset from the already installed windows?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Network computer Problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »
    So do you mean:
    • It asks right when I turn it on
    • It asks after windows starts.
    • Only when I try the internet is asks.
    The #1 and #2 require some help from you IT people.
    If it is #3, you can change that. Just install network again.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Network computer Problem
    « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 05:53:35 AM »
    I'd bring this computer back to work and ask that a network admin logs onto this system and creates a local admin account for you on this system. Then you will be able to logon offline from corporate network at home and use it as a home computer to get online on the internet.

Other request would be if this person can clean build it for you using whatever installation media they use to wipe it and then give it a local administrator account for you to use.

Other option is get the installation media and wipe it clean yourself and use the key that this system is using to activate the clean install that you perform.

*Some things to be aware of is that if this system isn't cleanly built, you can have group policies and content (local browser restrictions) at the local computer level that causes problems for you.

We cant help crack this systems password if thats your intent due to the fact that say the computer was stolen, we'd be assisting with a crime. So given what you stated in how it was acquired, I feel that asking your work to unlock it for you is the best course of action or wipe it clean and install fresh on your own.

*If this is a bios password, that is you are given a password prompt before windows boots you will need your work to have their system admin use the password to go in and undo this for you, just in case this password is a hardware lock like many corporate laptops have.

Note: Its too bad your work didnt raffle off the old computers. Years ago I worked for a company that did a upgrade back in the late 1990s when computers were costly and they were giving away their old Windows 95 systems as-is after an upgrade to NT with better Pentium II systems, but the admin gave them all local admin accounts. Everyone who wanted one got to add their name onto a slip of paper and that friday they drew names and people got free computers. What was great about this is that people who otherwise couldnt afford a computer were given an entry level computer for dial up internet. Myself I ended up getting a free computer and kept that faster Pentium 75 and gave away my 486 to someone who needed a computer that wasnt a gamer and the 486 was plenty for AOL dial-up. It was a better way of decommissioning systems to give them to employees who them or their families could use them vs being thrown so wastefully into a landfill.