Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Garbled Emails (I'm going insane)  (Read 2265 times)

Bob P.

Garbled Emails (I'm going insane)
« on: December 10, 2005, 02:47:34 PM »
I am running Windows XP. I use Hotmail (online) for my email.  Whenever I get a newsletter from websites like starwars.com, it replaces punctuation with strange characters like:  ב ’s … just to put a few. This is even worse when I get something from the Eragon newsletter, when the writer uses lots of accented characters. Before I was able to ignore it, guessing at what was supposed to be there, but I just got an email from a friend of mine and I can't understand it!!!! I have viewed my email through Firefox (which I love) and IE (which I hate) and it still looks the same.  I really need these emails (not the newsletters lol). Any fixes? Suggestions? ANYTHING would be very much appreciated.

pcdoc4christ

Re: Garbled Emails (I'm going insane)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 03:48:13 PM »
Bod:

Does this happen with all e-mail messages, or only with e-mail messages from those senders?

Doc

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 06:40:17 PM »
Bod:

Does this happen with all e-mail messages, or only with e-mail messages from those senders?

Doc

Only those senders. The newsletter senders were all sending really professional-looking emails, with the graphics and links and stuff, but my friend was sending plain-text.

Q

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 07:31:45 PM »
Do you work for the cia/fbi/mi5.......

Dell4700

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 07:44:24 PM »
Hmmm...I'd definitely check for virus or malware.  Information on detecting and removing here:  http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=14;action=display;num=1107627636

If this doesn't fix your problem, try to restore your system to a known good configuration.  Info here:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

If the above doesn't solve your problem, let us know where and how it failed.

Dell

Mac

Garbled Emails (I'm going insane)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 02:23:05 AM »
Do you work for the cia/fbi/mi5.......

KGB, Stasi, Mossad, SIS, MI6, MIB, GSP, ATF, IRS, SWAT, SAS, SBS, State Trooper, Home Guard, Thought Police, or just for the STATE in which you live?

See if anyone has a decrypter.

On the mental condition. Do you keep on thinking that you can see three monkeys, or is your life filled with sheep, cats, dogs and crows?  Are you a religious Nut? 8)

Have you tried asking them to send in Unicode?