Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DNS changing  (Read 3241 times)

Noob345

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    DNS changing
    « on: September 06, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »
    I want to change my wifi dns for a new server on a game. Will doing this affect my wifi, and can I change it back again?

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: DNS changing
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
    yes, you can always change it back at any time.

just checking.... do you mean DNS or IP address?
    and what is it you are trying to achieve?

your DNS address is your 'gateway' to the internet (often called your gateway address) so changing it will effect things but it depends on what it is being changed to and why.
    think of it as, IP addresses are for LAN's (from the modem looking inwards at your PC's) and DNS's are for WAN's (from the modem looking outwards to the world).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »
    Hebe is a link to a sue taut may be helpful.

Best DNS Servers (Free and Public)

He claims these free services might be better that what the  provider gives you.You can  check it  out.

Depending upon distance between your place and DNS server, there will be speed improvements
        If your ISPs DNS servers are not that reliable, using an alternate DNS server will improve stability
        If you are using an old Operating System with no security updates, using a third-party DNS will be protection from phishing attacks
        And, yes, you can get rid of geography-based content restrictions and web censorship
    But it might not make any difference at all.  :)

Hackoo

Hopeful
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
    Hi  ;)
    I posted before a HTA (HTML Application) that let you change your DNS easily with double click on it, and you can of course restore it any time to your defaults DNS  8)