Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknown computer on network map  (Read 3001 times)

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

Unknown computer on network map
    « on: September 12, 2017, 09:41:46 PM »
    Hello,

I have an unknown computer that just showed up on Windows Explorer under the Network icon in the left hand window pane.  The name of it is CHALIE.

I'm worried that someone has gained access to my network and thus access to my computers on it, and not sure what to do about it.

Not sure what other info to give here.  I have 2 computers on the network both using windows 10.  When I click on the CHALIE icon a window opens titled Windows Security requesting I enter my network credentials.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Unknown computer on network map
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »
    What are the names of your two computers? Right-click the start menu and choose "System" and "Computer Name" should appear in the second section.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:03:21 AM »
      One is named "DESKTOP" and the 2nd computer is named "HPtouchlaptop"

I shut both computers down overnite.  This morning when I turned them on "CHALIE" was not listed.  But still concerned that if someone hacked into my network they could access it again.

Yesterday the list of computers listed under the network icon in left window pane of windows explorer on DESKTOP computer was:
      DESKTOP
      HPTOUCHLAPTOP
      CHALIE

And list of computers under network on HPTOUCHLAPTOP was:
      HPTOUCHLAPTOP
      CHALIE

Today the list for DESKTOP is:
      DESKTOP
      HPTOUCHLAPTOP
      WDMYCLOUD (I do have a wdmycloud storage device)

Today on HPTOUCHLAPTOP is:
      HPTOUCHLAPTOP

I have not been able to get DESKTOP to show up under the network icon on my HPTOUCHLAPTOP since I setup my network and not sure why. 

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »
        Well CHALIE popped up back on my network listing again tonite.  I disconnected my computers from the internet as a safety precaution and turned on firewall, turned off all file sharing, and tried to change my password. 

However I'm not able to change it?  There is no password change option when I do a ctrl alt del.  Did that change in windows 10?  Also when I click on in the change password option in the settings/sign in option section, I get an error message saying something went wrong try again or select cancel to setup your device later. 

Now I'm really getting worried.  I HOPE someone can help me.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »
        If you use an MS account you change the password through that. That password has nothing to do with your network though.

"CHALIE" is the host name being give to your router by one of the devices connected to it.

Do you have wifi? if so, change the password. You'd have to go to a particular URL to change that. most commonly it is 192.168.0.1 but it might be indicated on your router. A username and password login are needed for it which, too, should be indicated on the unit from when it was installed.

It is many times more likely that the "CHALIE" system is a device you've simply never considered. A smartphone, tablet, Smart TV, or even a cable box. You may have friends or relatives who visit and to whom you've given the password.

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »
          Thanks for the help.

Yes I have a wifi router and thought about it being one of my wifi devices ( I do have a fair amount of wifi devices connected).  Just never seen that name before and have not added any new wifi devices in quite a while.

Would someone accessing my network via the internet as opposed to wifi show up as a host name in the network list?

What is the best way to track what device CHALIE is if it is connecting via wifi?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
          Would someone accessing my network via the internet as opposed to wifi show up as a host name in the network list?
          No.

What is the best way to track what device CHALIE is if it is connecting via wifi?
          Change your wifi password (and ensure it is using WPA2), then make a record of when you enter it into a computer, or give it to a visitor. If it ever shows up again then you can work backwards from that information and see if you can isolate who or what has this device. or which of your devices may have that host name.

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:17:23 AM »
            Ok thanks for that info.  Just curios though why doesn't all my wifi devices than show up on the network list.  Should any wifi device that is connected to the router show up on the network list?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
            Ok thanks for that info.  Just curios though why doesn't all my wifi devices than show up on the network list.  Should any wifi device that is connected to the router show up on the network list?

The "network" section only lists devices which use certain Windows networking protocols. Think of it less as "This is what is on your network" and more Windows saying "Here are some things I found that I can talk to"

For example, on my own network I never see my Android Phone appear within the network section for any of my PCs; Also, when I connect my old PowerMac G5, my windows systems do not see it either.

If you want to see all the clients connecting to your router, you can typically do so from within the router's configuration web pages.