Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will xbox 10 kill gaming PC sales?  (Read 2828 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Will xbox 10 kill gaming PC sales?
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:01 PM »
Please tell me. Should I forget about ever building a gaming PC for myself?
Microsoft is putting out these ads. Did you get one?

Can they really do that? Some 8 cores in the CPU and 12 in the graphics chip.

Some place I saw it has a price just below $300. $299.
For that money it is hard to build anything with that much poser.
Or is it?   ???

The pictures attracted I reduced to save bandwidth.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Will xbox 10 kill gaming PC sales?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »
A gaming PC only needs to be built or implemented if games you want to play are PC based.

In some situations its cheaper to go with a console vs buying or building a gaming PC.

I still prefer PC's for gaming, and depending on what games you play a lower end or older system might be plenty without having to go overboard. For example I like playing UT99 and its been around for about 18 years now and because it was made during the Pentium III era, it runs good on an older system or a lower end new system without having to spend crazy money on it.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:40:28 PM »
Is this the game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdavVDmjtu0
Were you very good?
Do you still play?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »
The X in XBox One X is not a roman numeral.

It's USD price is $499. The lower price you cite is the reduced price of the XBox One S, which is an earlier console.

Remember a few decades ago when Atari challenged us to "do the math" trying to sell their 64-bit Jaguar Console?

This is the same sort of marketing. They are slapping numbers on a ad and expect users to "do the math" and compare those numbers to numbers for other hardware, even thouse those numbers do not not actually represent anything useful.

-They added 4 cores to the CPU. But it's still the same one from the original XBox One console release- they just added 4 cores to it. That's cool but it's not a brand new chip design or something.

-That "12GB" is not Graphics Memory, that's total memory; it just happens to be shared between the system and the graphics card. Quite misleading for them to suggest it is 12GB of dedicated Graphics Memory.

-I'd expect the Graphics Chip won't be able to reach it's rated TFLOPS speed since it will have to share memory bandwidth with the rest of the system, since it lacks dedicated graphics memory.

it retails for $649 CAD. That's only $150 less than I paid for my build in 2008 and that system is still more capable than the XBox One X.

Even if the numbers were accurate, it's not like more processing capability means better games. Plenty of systems have been better on-paper than their competition but proven to be worse in practice, like the Sega Saturn.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
Will have to check out your link when I get home as per not able to get to youtube from work...  ;D

But UT99 is Unreal Tournament 99 and I hosted a server for about 2 years until it cooked on hot summer day in my previous home a mobile home when wife decided to shut off the AC to save money on electric bill and my Pentium III 850Mhz UT99 server blistered its wafer and let out its secret smoke. There was a map that I hosted called DM Massive Bedrooms which was like Toy Story where your the size of Army men running around hiding in Lego houses and toy school bus or under a bed in bedroom etc. I had this map down to where I knew all the good areas were to snipe and frag people from and would pop in occasionally and what was fun is when others found these sweet spots and you had to take them out in which special weapons and invisible armor was used to sneak up on someone who thinks they are tucked away in a snipe spot to headshot people or I would use a missile that had option to launch it and run or alternate guide the missile in to its target in which it was funny to fly it around and scare players thinking they are targeted to be wiped out and I would laugh and fly it around and guide it into an area with multiple targets and the shock wave is like M.O.A.B in which you can take out everyone in a large area. I'd have up to 16 people there at a time fighting, sometimes I would have bots running around which you could set them from easy targets to a difficult setting where they are on you like flies on cant say.  ;D

The maps that come with the game I had most of them down. There are a few I dont play because it gives me wicked vertigo these are the space station ones where the station is rolling in space and when moving on the station that is rolling it wigged out my vertigo like feeling so I said I cant play those.

What i like is that so many people made custom maps for UT99 and shared them online. The one day i set out to gather them all and it was 14.1GB in map files which are hundreds of maps. Some custom maps are VERY ADULT and cant go into details about why. Most are decent, but I found Massive Bedrooms and that became my favorite and that was made by someone and is not a normal map that came with the game.

Here is the map for massive bedroom.  http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-tournament/deathmatch/4617/DM-!(htr)Massive-Bedroom

UT99 is a great game and still has a good following of people playing stand alone or multiplayer online on hosted servers etc. The game I have had run on as weak as a Celeron 500Mhz 256MB RAM with a 64MB video card. I havent tried it on anything beyond Windows 7 but it runs on Windows 7 64-bit all the way backwards to Windows 2000. Might even run on Win 98 SE.  Only thing about this game is that it was designed back when CPU's were 1 core and I have had to set Core Affinity to 1 core of a 4 core CPU to get the game to not freeze frame. It runs smooth with core affinity set to 1 core on a multicore CPU for systems that have issues with UT99 that are multiple core processors. It seems as though AMD processors that are multiple core seem to act up more than Intel multiple Core CPUs. But setting Core Affinity for the game to run on say Core 0 and not on Cores 1,2, and 3 of a 4 core CPU is the fix.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Geek you are 1 step closer to being barred from posting " news" articles...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:13:06 PM »
Ok. A lot of this stuff if find  looks like Pr just might be newswoethy.
Hare a re a few:

Amazon working on 'smart glasses' as its first wearable device: FT

Bain-Led Group to Buy Toshiba Chip Unit in $18 Billion Deal

Before Wisconsin, Foxconn Vowed Big Spending in Brazil. Few Jobs Have Come.

But look at this:

Police say an Instagram Live video helped lead to the arrest of a Texas “most wanted” fugitive earlier this week. (BBC)

That BBC article goes on to say:

Police say Gonzalez's Instagram video revealed his location
US police say an Instagram Live video helped lead to the arrest of a "most wanted" fugitive earlier this week.
Christopher Ricardo Gonzalez allegedly streamed footage of himself alongside several guns on the Facebook-owned app.
Dallas police detectives say the feed identified the man's location and they passed these details on to the Los Angeles Police Department.
The LAPD says it subsequently captured the 18-year-old at about 02:00 local time on Tuesday.
Gonzalez had been added to the Texas Department of Public Safety's Most Wanted Fugitives list in August, after he was accused of murder, several home robberies and involvement in organised crime.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41331576

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
so yup that link geek is the UT99... and 24:30 is where the one map starts that I dont play because it makes me feel vertigoish with the fact that your on a tumbling structure and planets are a reference to your movement.  ::)