Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flash Games - Eventually slow and then crash  (Read 7896 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Flash Games - Eventually slow and then crash
« on: November 10, 2018, 09:07:33 AM »
Was wondering if maybe its just the nature of Flash based online games to have this issue as I have had to F5 refresh other games or even in some cases completely exit out of the browser and reload the Flash Game to get it to run properly again.

I have tried these games on 4 different computers all with plenty of processing power ( Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz, Core i3 2.1Ghz, AMD-A8-5545m 2.7Ghz, and AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8-core ) and on Windows 7 and Windows 10 OS's, and both in Edge Browser as well as Firefox and they all experience this issue where the longer the game is running the more it starts to lag out and then eventually the game will crash in various ways where the game itself will either be completely froze or the game will look like its running but clicking on features in the game become unresponsive. Additionally I have had this happen from 2 different internet connections as well so I dont feel its an internet connection issue.  Home internet is 25/5 broadband and other connection is 3/1 DSL. And pinging to Google for hours and then looking back at the ping log to see if the connection dropped out shows no lost packets to google.

One game I play has unattended game play mode such as Soul Calibur at http://sc.gamesprite.me . This game has idle process grinding to allow for your character to auto mode fight mobs while your away and gain experience and loot. And I can leave my computer idle gaming and come back to it to make decisions on where to spend attribute points etc, and decide to fight bosses or go up for PVP dueling. Currently Level  87 on Server #81. Only thing odd with this game is that they have so many servers and seem to create a new server environment once every week or two and so population on the server of active players is low and I am working my way up to the top of the list currently ranked the 34th most powerful player on that server, but I havent gone up against any true competition yet as they have you fighting against weaklings in Battle Rating as you work your way towards the top and you could skip to the person 10 rankings away to jump from say rank 50 to 40 if you beat them, but early on I saw a benefit in killing as many as i can in PVP duel as there is a gain of Spirit which is a consumable material in the game to increase stats and so I have taken the slow beneficial to stat improvement route to become quite powerful for a FREE player, whereas people who Rank Rush to the top might not have the stats I have to be able to keep their place in the ranking and jipped themselves out of Spirit that could be farmed through this process by fighting everyone on your way to the top instead of skipping by units if 10 to get to the top sooner.

I like this game for what it is. It has dailies and I can have everything that needs to be done for the day completed in about 30 minutes. With taking on College again working on my second degree, I dont have much time for anything but college and working my full time with overtime job. So I have been running this game to grind when I am away doing my research papers or college projects and just figured I'd ask here to see if anyone knows why it seems like all flash games dont work well when running for hours on end and lag and eventually crash by no longer responsive or froze up?

I looked at the system RAM and I dont see any unusual amount of RAM consumed to point to a memory leak as the cause, but oddly the hard drive LED seems to be quite active during this time which might be superfetch loading system RAM to the maximum and then the hard drive dealing with the spill over into virtual memory.

System I am running it on now has 4GB RAM and 3700MB  used and 300MB free. Page file is 1600MB with 2400MB free. CPU is hovering around 33% on this Core i3 running Windows 7 64-bit with latest Firefox 63.0.1 and hard drive right now shows a blink or two per second.

When the flash games lag and crash the hard drive light will almost constantly be lit as its doing excessive paging. Available free memory is about the same but the page file increases from 4GB allotted to 6GB allotted. The Hard Drive is a 750GB 7200RPM drive with 502GB free space so its running efficient and not an issue from a jam packed hard drive.

Shandy

Intermediate
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Flash Games - Eventually slow and then crash
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
    Old post I know.

Not sure why the browser would lock up though, when I first read the issues you were having I was thinking RAM, perhaps memory leakage due to it gradually slowing down.

However if a browser restart or refresh fixes it, why not try setting a macro to do this every hour while you're AFK?

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
    Thanks to your response to this. Never thought of that band aid method of a refresh once every hour. I own jitbit macro recorder that allows creation of keyboard/mouse macros to automate systems for redundant normally manual tasks. I can see this as a fix for what otherwise cant be corrected. Will make one up and then add calling it to execute within a batch with a sleep timer and loop. Then run the batch when I plan on being away from it for a few hours and want it to keep chugging away.  ;D

Shandy

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »
      Just out of curiosity, is it just a few certain games that lock up or is it any flash program when ran for a long time? Also was thinking that 300MB of available RAM isn't a huge amount, but you'd think it'd be enough, right? Unless RAM has some other function other than temporary storage that I'm not aware of, that requires a certain amount of free space? And also you'd think the pagefile would be cope..?

Long shot but you could try extra memory if you have slots and RAM if you can borrow from somewhere?

I can't recall ever having this issue myself even when I first discovered Burrito Bison Revenge and played it all day xD

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:18:07 PM »
      Tested this with my other system with 16GB RAM and it did same as it does on other systems with less RAM. But memory in use capped at 7GB in use of 16GB.

I was playing a different game the other day Forge of Empires also flash based and that one wasnt having issues yet this other game Soul Calibur seems to not do well after 2 or 3 hours of runtime. Features would slow and eventually not respond but F5 refresh fixed it until it would occur again.

I think I am going to just go the route of the refresh on a timer to keep the game working. This game "Soul Calibur" has an unattended gameplay feature where you can let it grind out battles for experience and loot when away from computer.

Shandy

Intermediate
        « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 05:28:00 AM »
        Could find very little about the game online but I did see mention from some comments that the game has tech issues and runs slow.

It could just be some limitation with flash that the devs have run into and ignored or are not aware of. Perhaps in the way that flash player handles the cache for the program?? No idea really, just guessing.

But yeah if refresh works, AFK away, guess it might give you some small advantage over other players facing the same tech issues.  :P