Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using proxy to get around an undeserved block.  (Read 2976 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Using proxy to get around an undeserved block.
« on: October 02, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
This is not an attempt to break the law. Sometimes a site will put up a temporary block on a IP  shared by many. This is very toying.

My FTP client gets refused on just one site. It is not a password problem. I can get other service, just not FTP.

A technician said that the FTP might be blocked.

Right now the local internet provider puts me on 73.12.252.137 and I have no control over that. Nor do I want to pay to have my own IP.

Also, when a block happens, there is no easy way for me to know if it is a block issue or maybe some other thing. It is guess work. Having proxy to use would, maybe,. help identify the trouble I have making  connection to a remote site.

So, my question is this: What free proxy is available that might let me make a connection to a site the might be blocking me on port 21?

Can anybody help me find a suitable proxy for FTP?

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Using proxy to get around an undeserved block.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »
If memory serves me correct on this one.... i remember others asking for a proxy solution and being shot down by moderators here.  :-\

BTW the only proxy I have ever used was one that I owned and so I had full control over its behavior. Id be very careful using someone elses proxy solution if you find one. Its a gaping loss of security going through someones for a monkey in the middle attack of info as well as keylogging through a packet sniffer etc where someone can get your logon info etc.

They can be dangerous when they arent your own. I ran SQUID proxy years ago and it worked awesome but it was mainly for acting as a cache of frequently visited websites back when I shared a single dial up connection with 2 computers running XP with the one with the modem also running SQUID to only fetch content that wasnt already existing locally so no need to download the same content over and over unless it changes etc. Over dial up this made a big difference for frequently visited sites with mostly static pictures etc and only text changing etc.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:45 PM »
This your cheap web hosting again, isn't it?

An FTP Service is not even running on that system. For the best, as FTP is a pretty big security problem. You'd want SFTP, I think.

It is running Linux Kernel 3.0. It's host name is INTEL_CE_LINUX, and it's on a Workgroup named "HITRON" (A consumer router, I might add). It is running Samba version 3.0.37, configured to allow guest connections, disable message signing- and it looks like it only supports smbv1. It has an uptime of a little over 6 days.

I shouldn't be able to find any of that out within 30 seconds. But I can. Imagine what somebody who actually knew what they were doing could do. There are remote execution exploits for that version of Samba and SMBv1 that can literally take over the system. That's fun.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 12:28:12 AM »
Thank you both. Yes, I am trying to understand why they make FTP hard.
If they think FTP is a hazard, they could just come out ans say so.
I think that I triggered a firewall thing and somebody has to reset it manually. I used to be able to detect this by using a proxy just to see if  I am being blocked. Byt I forgot what proxy service I use to have.  Oh well, it is not really very important. Just a big annoyance.
Ah yes, Linux servers can have some serious legacy security issues. If Windows will not let you do something, just fire up your Linux system and start Samba.