Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Certain Software Is Really Tiny  (Read 3263 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Certain Software Is Really Tiny
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
So what's next?

I'm in Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4; don't know if one, the other, or the combination is the culprit.

Most everything is "the right size". Some programs, though, appear really, really tiny. I've also noticed this on some - not all - sites that use Adobe.

I've messed around in the individual program's Properties - Compatibility, and "DPI Scaling" and all that. I'm not really certain what any of it does, but it hasn't "corrected" for this phenomenon... Surely this can't be as intended?

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Certain Software Is Really Tiny
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:34:56 PM »
I wouldnt jump off a bridge and/or blame it all on Win 10...fact is that there;s a ton of apps out there that didn;t keep up with Win developement...

Not an answer...just an observation.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
The program wasn't designed that way, but that is how it was made.

It doesn't do anything to handle non-standard DPI settings, and always assumes 96 ppi. However, it tells windows it is DPI aware. This is why it is tiny. The window is the same pixel size as it would be on a standard 100% scaled display despite being on a high-resolution monitor with a much higher pixel density. And because it said "I'll do it myself, GAWD" to Windows, Windows doesn't interfere and assumes it knows what it is doing. (It can't really detect when a program claims it is DPI aware but doesn't do anything to actually be DPI Aware).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »
I was halfway up the side of the bridge, muttering "*censored* you, Steve Ballmer" when I read your post, patio. Close call!

OK, so, um, BC, is there anything I can do about it?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:49:31 PM »
OK, so, um, BC, is there anything I can do about it?

Pretty sure All you can do is complain to Netgear- one voice among thousands for what looks like the last 2 or 3 years of people complaining to them about this.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Was hoping you'd say I could set the DVIRC key to 0 in the ipswitch settings of the reverse-litmus-configuration panel.

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
and another observation - no answer - the few Surface Pro's I've played with had the same DPI scaling issue.
you'd play around and get it almost right for most things but there would always be something that looked wrong.