Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 won't work in some text boxes of Windows 10  (Read 2824 times)

leuconoe

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I've always had trouble with Dragon working in some text boxes on different webpages, but now it isn't working with a program I use for work. I work online with tutor.com and since they updated their program or since one of my Windows updates I can't dictate anything into the tutor.com program. I need to speech to text because my arms are disabled and now it looks like I'm out of a job because I can't dictate into the program. The tutoring company has done all they can to look into the problem and see if it is anything they can resolve on their end. I'm totally at a loss and I really need this job. I appreciate any help or feedback! I've disabled Windows 10 speech to text programs and updated all my drivers. The problem started around the first or second week of September.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 won't work in some text boxes of Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
    For Win 10 you will need to update your ver. of Dragon...it's a known issue.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
    Let me say something. I also have issues with Dragon and I need it because of my vision. Dragoon is a real help.

Here is what I do.
    I use two monitors.One can be the target for my work, the other a temporary area for editing something.

I open dragon, then tell it to open Dragon Pad. This is a program for Dragon that behaves like the Word Pad program. I can dictate into dragon pad and seldom have to touch keyboard or mouse. With patience, one can do everything without  keyboard or mouse.

After I get the dictation to be what I want, I say:l

select all
    copy
    paste

(between copy and paste I change focus with the mouse.
    Do you a a device thing that moves a mouse  pointer the with your breath?

Here is a general discussion of alternative input devices
    Some employers use adaptive technology for handicapped workers.
    https://askjan.org/media/altinput.html
    Accommodation and Compliance Series:
    Alternative Input Devices
      By Elisabeth Simpson, M.S.

In recent years, with the advent of tablet devices and touch screen PCs, we have seen a shift in how products are being developed and how “traditional” input devices are often not part of the package. However, many of the features discussed in this publication are available on tablet devices right out of the box; they just have to be turned on. Text-to-speech is just one example of a built-in accessibility feature that some tablet devices offer. Accessories are available that offer key guards for the onscreen keyboard, external large print or color contrast keyboards are available, and devices can be configured to be switch accessible.

This publication is a non-inclusive list of alternative computer input devices typically used by individuals with upper and lower extremity limitations. If you would like additional information contact the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) directly. JAN also has information on alternative input devices designed specifically to accommodate individuals with cognitive and sensory impairments.
    I hope that might be of some help.  :)

By the way: Any handicapped individual who must use assertive technology with Windows PC can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 from  windows 7.  This offer  from Microsoft is still open. Any disabled person with an older windows 7  PC in their possession can upgrade it to Windows 10 and have a  PC with Windows 10.

I installed Windows 10 in a way that still lets me boot to Windows 7 if I need to. In fact, I do because of the issues with Dragon and Windows 10.

I decline to upgrade my Dragon. I see no reason to pay money money. Even a free upgrade is not what I want. Changing or a migrating a profile in Dragon is hard for a disabled person. It is hard for an able-bodied person.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
    Come to think of it, I never use DNS** with Windows 10. For some reason Nuance, the owner of DNS, has done a poor job of moving it to Windows 10.
    Microsoft gave developers lots of time. IMO they will lily never do it.
    Instead, use Windows 7. DNS  works fine in Windows 7.
    If you have Windows 10 you can legally use Windows 7 on the same computer without a violation of the EULA. (But there is a lot of confusion about this.) Here is a link that claims to have the correct answer.

Ways to Downgrade from Windows 10 (Fast & Simple)

There’s a lot of stuff about Windows 10 that has been somewhat disenchanting to many of the Windows users out there like you and me.
    ... and some are even getting the feeling it is a spyware. You can read all of this, as there’s literally like a whole page with over 99+ problems faced by Windows users ...

After his rant, he goes on to say you can downgrade.Easy.
    If more information about dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, let me know.

** Dragpm Naturally Speaking.