Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card bad or is something else wrong  (Read 5203 times)

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    video card bad or is something else wrong
    « on: October 06, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
    I was wondering if someone could look at this video * https://youtu.be/rK8zgrxsrg4 and tell me if that is the graphic card going out or if the harddrive is messed up please. Backstory I was playing a game when the screen went black but I could still hear the computer running. So I pushed the power button on the tower and restarted. Everything was fine untill it got to the screen before it loads windows. Not sure how to say this without sounding weird but here it is I will have a screen that shows the time then a blue screen then a screen that has master with windows under it. That time it got to the blue and stuck. Now I can sometimes see (as in the video) the computer starting up and other times nothing but I can hear the computer starting up. forgot to add that the outputs are dvi and there a two of them I have tried both, have tried on old computer monitur(spelling is wrong), I do not have hdmi ports on the tower.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: video card bad or is something else wrong
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »
    Have you tried my suggestions from Chat earlier yet ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 03:28:43 PM »
      which was?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:00:11 PM »
      Interesting that your RAM count is what it is and single channel...

If your motherboard has integrated video, Id try that and remove the video card.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
        I do not know if I can take out the video card. I am more asking to make sure that the harddrive is good so I can use it as extra (external) storage on a new computer

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »
        DLoad and run the Free diags from the HDD manuf. site....do NOT interrupt it.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
          hard to download anything when one cannot see to download

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »
          Ummm you could do it on any working PC...
          And if you havent tried the onboard vid as suggested and still have no video you will need to move the HDD into a workin PC to test it...

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 06:06:16 AM »
            That computer is the only one I have and as I said I do not know what the video card is

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »
            Further thought.... Do you have ability to get or make a bootable Linux DVD such as Ubuntu or Mint? Boot this system off the Disc and you should get to a desktop environment after a few minutes for it to boot. The contents of the DVD would be loaded into RAM and with 3GB RAM and that CPU you should be all set. If your unable to get the desktop to show then its most likely a video card issue, however if your at a desktop in a Linux environment then there is something corrupt on that Hard Drive that is causing the display driver to wig out.  :-\

This would run your system in a LIVE Linux environment and your contents of your hard drive wont be hurt in any way as long as you dont select to install once the desktop loads you can poke around the menus etc, but avoid the install shortcut that is on the desktop.  :)

Once you have this environment running you could use it like a regular computer ( assuming the only problem is your hard drive ), however changes are not written to hard drive and the minute you shutdown or reboot changes are erased. The browser would allow you to connect to high speed internet for example and there are also some lightweight games on most distros.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
              I do not have a way to get bootable anything as I do not have another computer

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »
              Since you cannot do any of our suggestions you need to take it to the shop...

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 05:23:46 AM »
                I have no plans on fixing the computer. My plans are taking out the harddrive(which I hope is still good) and tossing the computer(over a cliff but that would be bad but it is how I feel about the tower). and making the harddrive an extenal drive when I get a new computer. Which is why I asked if the issue could be video related and not the harddrive

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »
                Initial post was not very clear in the intent to not fix this computer and only concern for the data on it. If your going to connect this to another computer solely for the data on it vs using it as a bootable drive then the video card has nothing to do with your problem. Its either a healthy drive or not a healthy drive. Connecting it to another computer using an external drive case or caddy will prove if the drive is good or not, and I would suggest running crystaldiskinfo against the drive to check its health. Standard edition portable ( 4.6mb ) is the one I use.  You download this on a healthy computer once you get one to replace this one, and then connect the drive from the old computer to new computer, then run this and it will check the SMART info on all hard drives and SSD drives and report back the health. If all is green all is good and you might just have some data corruption, if you see a warning then the drive that is yellow with a warning is either running with damage or is failing due to sluggish behavior that was detected by its self check on boot that all modern hard drives and SSD's have.

Be sure to scan this drive for virus's and malware before using any data on it just in case its infected, you can avoid infecting the other computer.

https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

*** Its sad that that computer might go over a cliff and other than a corrupt install of the OS in which the video cuts out, it may be an otherwise healthy 8 year old computer.  :'(  ;D   To me its like sending a car to a junk yard when the timing is just off, set the timing and back up and running... analogy to timing being a healthy OS environment will probably cause this system to run healthy. A bootable Linux Disc if available would have been a dirt simple way of testing the video card and rest of the computer hardware as healthy as for modern Linux Distros support about 99% of the video cards out there or have a generic driver that works.  :-\

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:41 AM »
                  The tower had a floppy disk holder in it so the tower is way older then 8 years old