Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connect WAMP Server/Virtual Host/local Word Press to domain host or online  (Read 2733 times)

Lord Vader

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Connect WAMP Server/Virtual Host/local Word Press to GoDaddy.

Dear PLANET !

my name is Amadeus,

We are starting a self funded animal rescue center,
    We have purchased out own servers, and are pretty tech savy.

We have run across something we can not figure out.

Here is our Set up.

HARDWARE.
    1. 2u Server.
    2. Lynksys E8400 router x 2
    / 1 Router is bridged.
    3. 1Gigabit online speed.

SOFTWARE.
    1. WAMP SERVER / INSTALLED. / VIRTUAL HOST / INSTALLED AND ACTIVE.

2. WORD PRESS INSTALLED IN LOCAL HOST / ACTIVE

3. WORD PRESS SITE CREATED. / SAVED AND PUBLISHED.

4. DOMAIN NAME PURCHASED / GO DADDY.

5. POINTED THE "A" CLASS DNS TO OUR
    ~ROUTER / NOT WORKING
    ~SERVER I.P. / NOT WORKING
    ~VIRTUAL HOST IP / NOT WORKING

We have tried everything,

~port forwarding
    ~port 80
    ~ pretty much every tutorial in the known planet.

The conclusion we came to was, it has something to do with the router ?

because godaddy can point to the router login page, but thats it,

after we tried port forwarding, its just a error page.

The only logical guess we have left is

1. We need to set the DHCP
    INFO

DHCP Server:
    Enabled Disabled
    Start IP Address: 192 . 168 . 1.
    Maximum Number of Users:
    IP Address Range: 192 . 168 . 1. 50 to 149
    Client Lease Time: minutes (0 means one day)
    Static DNS 1: . . . ???
    Static DNS 2: . . . ???
    Static DNS 3: . . . ???
    WINS: . . .

2. WE NEED TO POINT OUR VIRTUAL SERVER TO SERVER IP ?

3. Something we totally missed ?

we know how to change everything in the godaddy, DNS etc etc etc.
    the issue at hand is what is the correct way of,
    getting past the router, to the server, and to our local site we have in the server.

Ultimately
    , we are trying to build our own sites on our own servers and get to live on the Web for everyone to join us in Animal Rescue.

This is everything we can possibly think off,
    Please, Please, Please anyone out there that can tell us what we are doing wrong ?

We really need to get these servers up for the Animal Rescue Center,

All advice on, anything at all will help.

Thank you all for looking and taking the time.

Amadeus
    we can provide any and all pictures requested to help solves this.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Hello, I am Geek9pm. I wish I could help you.
    I have played with web serving for years and still have little understanding of how it works. You nee the help of somebody who has actually done the whole thing many times. It never is as documented. Somewhere there is always some little thing that has to be turned on.

A big issue on the internet is latency with to DNS information. It can, and does, take days for DNS to settle down. By the way, you can get some free DNS administration from https://www.zoneedit.com/ that might help with DNS changes.

As for Go Daddy, they can be very helpful, but they want you to use their hosting service. Still, it helps to talk to then if you can get through.

Here is a 'workaround' that I suggest. Get the thing working by an alternative method. You object is to do a public service. If need be, cancel any service that does not work right and ask for a refund.

I know, that can be hard to do. Nut in the industry there are many who will not help you unless you  let them have control and take your money.Of the hosting companies that I have used, less than half have been what I expected.

Another suggestion. Don't pay more than yo have to for a domain name. If you get a really good one, keep it, but there is no need to pay more that $12 a year for just the domain. I think you might want to buy more that just one domain. It provides a way for doing trouble shooting. Some registrars have specials on domains names for the first year. Using two domains, you can have your stuff on your own server and have it on another server with the second domain name.  And it is even possible to swap servers using DNS administration.

If in the event something goes wrong,  and it will, you can steer you public over to the other domain. With Dns control you can even swap

All the work you have done in WordPress can be saved and used over again. And the WordPress templates are often free.

Have you ever, ever got the whole software package  thing up and running on some other  server as a 'proof of concept' or demonstration?

I am doing this is a hurry and have not edited this, but I think you get the drift of what I am doing. You need to have a secondary method to get up and running.

I have used many web-hosting companies over the years, but have never had enough personal income to afford a server of my own. Here is one site that I have and have kept it going for many years.

http://help9pm.com  a plain WordPress blog for my personal use.

However, I have had to move it from place to place at least once a year. The people that handle the web-hosting stuff sooner or later let me down and ruing my service. So I am used to the idea of having a backup plan and some kind of alternative method.

But I have never handled a server all by myself. So I can't really tell you what is wrong. I can only say have a secondary plan.

You  could send me a PM and I might provide more detail. The moderators don't like it when I miss spell words here.  :)