Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to specific sites  (Read 2819 times)

Lodrigues

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Cannot connect to specific sites
    « on: October 09, 2017, 01:15:26 AM »
    I have problem connecting to specific sites on my PC, I can't get to youtube, or anything from google (like google support, google drive, etc.), today twitch stopped loading for me. Other sites work well, just those keep on loading and then i get connection timed out.
    I tried most things I knew, checked PC for viruses, malware but nothing. No one else in house has this problem, I can acces those sites on my laptop, or mobile, just not on PC. One thing that puzzles me is that when I turn off/on router, all those sites start working again for about 15min before they suddenly stop to. I tried turning off firewalls but no change. I am starting to be really desperate about it, half of sites is inaccessible to me. I have windows 10 and I am connected by an ethernet cable. I'll be thankfull for any advices.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cannot connect to specific sites
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »
    Are all others that dont have the problem on wireless and this is the only wired device?
    Have you tried a different Cat5 port on router?
    Have you run a persistent ping on another computer at the same time as this one using
    Code: [Select]
    PING www.google.com -t at command shell and see if both computers have a problem at the same time or just this desktop that is wired? ( Does it only affect wired network connections but wireless connections are fine? )

*You might find that the routers Internal Network Controller for Wired Networks is baked and acts up when it warms up and the Wireless is fine because the Wireless uses a different Internal Network Controller parallel to the Wired Internal Network Controller. In which you just need to replace the router. If its only this computer then I'd install a different Network Adapter and go that route since I have spare NIC's, they are pretty cheap to add another one. They are also available as a USB dongle if you dont have an available PCI or PCI-E slot to take an internal adapter. But since you said that rebooting the router and the PC I am guessing remains on and the problem is solved for about 15 minutes, I would expect it to be pointing to a router thats partially baked and needs to be replaced.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
    it sounds like your internet is working fine, it's just a handful of sites you can't access.

if so, it pinpoints an issue with the browser.  I assume your emails are working fine.
    try another browser, or make sure you don't have any extensions that could block sites.
    on the blocking sites point, what do you have that could cause that?, like a firewall, a modified HOSTS files, MBAM etc.

also check you have the latest version of the browser you are using.

Lodrigues

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:16:53 AM »
      Thanks to all of you, I have somehow managed to solve the problem. I have been trying some guides what I found and one was solved by changing network address to one I found under ipconfig /all on my laptop. I tried it and it worked, I have with my limited knowledge absolute no idea what was the problem and especially how and what it started, but I am glad I can finally use net again :)

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
      Interesting that you dont have DHCP running, which is usually by dafault and doesnt require what you had to do to get computers to work when enabled.... I guess to had to manually specify a static IP address. Hopefully this address is different than the one you got from your laptop otherwise you will have an IP conflict if both are on at the same time. The only IP Addresses that are shared are for Gateway and DNS, but actual IP Address will be the same first 3 such as 192.168.1.XXX where XXX is unique for each device connected so if the laptop is 192.168.1.73 you dont want to use 192.168.1.73 for the desktop, you want to use one that not used such as 192.168.1.101 if not in use or if you want the numbers close together 192.168.1.74. Its best to ping whatever IP address you plan to use first ti make sure no other devices have it dynamically assigned to them or statically set such as pinging 192.168.1.101 first and if no response from a computer already working correctly on this network, then set that IP for the device or system your joining to the network.

Lodrigues

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
        Ok so it seems it solved problem for about....hour or so, and its back at the point one. Now doing what I did or going back and trying again does nothing. I am not using my laptop often, that's just for emergencies. If I do not enter some network adress manually like 00-3C-FF....  then net doesnt work at all, just ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED. With manual input its back to youtube, google stuff and some other things not loading while other sites load well.

I dont know but it might have something to do with it. About three months ago my net stopped working at all, again only on my table PC and only to me. I spend about week trying every fix I found with my laptop and every advice I got, but nothing helped. Then on one site I found some guy with same problem and he solved it by this:
        Go to Control Panel \ Network and Internet \ Network Connections

Right click the Local Ethernet Adapter

Click Properties

Clcik the Configure button

Click the Advanced Tab

Find Network Address in the list and click it.

Look at the Value in the box to the right.

If its blank or all zeros try whacking it this value 00-0C-FF-00-3C-00.

At this point I was trying everything I found so I tested it. First off, I couldnt even write that whole adress into the box, i was limited to about 8 char max, but I had some other program called Realtek - Ethernet Diagnostic Utility and I could change it though it. And it worked, for the first time in week I was able to connect to internet. Anything else was back to no connection. Only about week ago youtube and google sites stoped loading and two days ago twitch too.
        I have only one cable, so I tried connecting it to laptop instead of wifi and everything is fine, just not on my PC.