Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Laptop shutting down a few minutes after unplugging charger  (Read 3316 times)

HPPCE

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    HP Laptop shutting down a few minutes after unplugging charger
    « on: October 11, 2017, 11:10:13 AM »
    Hello. I have HP Laptop and since a month, it's been having these problems -

1. Despite plugging in the charger 24/7, the battery icon never shows 100% full. It stops between 90-95% available.
    2. There's this problem where despite no power fluctuation, or voltage issues, the battery "charging" symbol keeps showing on and off, the battery charging also keeps going on and off, it shows with my screen going dull/bright every few minutes. I've tried charging it in many different places, but it keeps happening everywhere.
    3. When I unplug my charger, the laptop has been shutting down after such a less time. Initially, it began with shutting down after 40 minutes of unplugging, and now it's come down to 10-15 minutes. This is despite the battery symbol showing more than 50 % battery.
    4. I have stopped getting the "battery is low" notification, which used to appear twice on screen, once around 20% battery and another around 10%. (sorry I forgot exact figures)
    5. The glowing button on the left side near the battery pin socket is glowing white (meaning full batter), even though the battery is never full.

It's over an year old(maybe 1.5 years old).

What's wrong with my laptop? Please help me. Thankyou in advance.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: HP Laptop shutting down a few minutes after unplugging charger
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »
    sounds like the battery has a failure.

I had a laptop years ago where the battery held no charge, unit was just on 2 years old.

under warranty still?

HPPCE

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:58:08 AM »
      sounds like the battery has a failure.

I had a laptop years ago where the battery held no charge, unit was just on 2 years old.

under warranty still?

IDK about warranty, I have to ask my dad.

So, I will have to buy a new battery??

Is there any reason why have I stopped receiving notifications of low battery from my laptop though?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
      Is there any reason why have I stopped receiving notifications of low battery from my laptop though?

The sense line for battery health sometimes cant detect that that full charge is really weak cells that are reporting back correct draw and voltage. Most newer laptops are a little better at this because they will go through a cycle of charge and drain when in use and on wall power. If the battery drops to fast within a given period of time it will cut over to wall power only and report the battery health is bad.

I had a older laptop tell me it was 100% charged and it lasted all but around 5 minutes to which it drained completely. I booted laptop up with wall power and then when at 100% I unplugged the power supply and watched as within the first minute it dropped to 73% and then 56% and then 43% and then 27% and then at 9% power I plugged it back in fast to keep the laptop from crashing due to a battery that was diving faster than it can place itself into a safe shutdown due to low battery. Not once did Windows have any poor battery notices.

I was able to get a new replacement battery for $30 on amazon for it and that 8 year old laptop was once again able to last 1.5 hours on a full charge which is about what i would get when it was new.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
      It has been mentioned that the batteries used in portable devices do not behave as expected. Most of us are used to the idea of how automobile batteries work.
      Lithium-ion batteries are not so predictable. The seem to have a high failure rate. Instead of slowly dying over a period of two years, they soon stop charging. Wjereas car batteries give am early warning.

For a possible explanation:Why Do Batteries Go Bad?
      This 2010 article covers the basic concepts of common batteries.
      In a recent study, scientists at Ohio State University took apart spent batteries, and used infrared thermal imaging technology ...
      ...They also found the breakdown of lithium in a battery hinders the transfer of an electric charge between electrodes.
      In other words, they go bad.  :(

LTFORCE

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
        hello guys , for your  battery  you need to plugging your charger for 2 hours while your laptop  in BIOS  , then unplugging the charger and let it  till turn off  then  do the same for the second  time , hopefully will work with you .

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:25 AM »
        huh?
        I'm wondering what will this achieve?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:39:26 AM »
        huh?
        I'm wondering what will this achieve?

Wasting 4 hours? :P
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:51:23 AM »
        I think they were suggesting a reconditioning of the battery from the safety of BIOS so that the Windows OS wouldnt be corrupt when the laptop drops like a stone when battery dives hard into the dirt.

The battery should be replaced are my thoughts.

Batteries rarely can be reconditioned like this full charge/full discharge cycle after they are troubled, and this and other methods of jarring the cells to come back into it very rarely work from my attempts myself in the past. I have gotten some batteries to slightly come back into it through a full discharge full recharge cycle, but they dont act like new and for example the battery that was troubled that would dive in 5 minutes or less might work for 20 minutes after reconditioning of cells, but a new battery would last 1.5 hours so the battery clearly is not corrected of its troubles in health.

It would likely be a waste of 4 hours.  :-\