Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Use GIF For attachments. nOT JPG.  (Read 2094 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Use GIF For attachments. nOT JPG.
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
While trying to install Agent Ransack, there was a problem.
So I made a screenshot and cropped it. And looking over the file sizes, I thought I should explain why I think the GIF is better than JPG.

I have three copies of the same image.
Here ate the first two as attainments.
Whenever you attach a file, it goes into the CH Web space and uses some of the CH bandwidth.
Notice the JPG has best color and the GIF  The best text readability.
The JPG could  be more clear if you reduce compression. That will increase the size and the bandwidth. For best text and modest bandwidth, use GIF and not JPG.

JPG image 48 KB
GIF  image 35 KB
PNG image 25 KB
The PNG image was made smaller and the color set reduced. The result was hard to read. So it is not shown here.

Either attachment may be  be opened in a new tab to see it full size.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Salmon Trout

Re: Use GIF For attachments. nOT JPG.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »
I just use jpgs hosted on Imgbox. No usage of forum webspace. The text in those two images you posted is equally readable to me.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Use GIF For attachments. nOT JPG.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:33:09 AM »
I use PNG for all screenshot images. jpeg imparts artifacts due to the lossy compression which tends to have issues with text and other details, and I just don't like it even if the text is still fairly readable. GIF uses an older compression scheme, so tends to be larger than just saving a 256-color PNG.

Here's a picture saved for all three. This is a Photoshop Window with the thing I was fiddling with at the time open- though it might actually be affecting the results in some way here.

GIF  - 377K

Text is perfectly clear. The image contents itself are pretty good too considering- the palette likely leaned heavily towards blues.

PNG - 335K

Looks identical to the GIF file- but is smaller due to a better compression algorithm.

JPEG - 269K

I had to reduce this to the 50% quality in order to compete size-wise with the other two. The text is still readable, so it still does the job here, but it does contain JPEG artifacts around the text and other on-screen elements. I personally don't think it is worth the trade-off; Mind, thjis is also why I don't use MP3 for the most part, preferring FLAC instead, so probably a personal preference thing altogether.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.