Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pavillion dv7 need to create Bios on a flash drive  (Read 10632 times)

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Pavillion dv7 need to create Bios on a flash drive
    « on: October 15, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
    I just visited the HP site and downloaded the latest Bios exe. The problem is though it assumes I am using the Pavillion dv7 to update the Bios when it's the Pavilion that has a corrupt Bios preventing me getting into it. I already tried removing the CMOS, but that didn't work. I want to create the latest Bios for the Pavillion dv7 on a different computer, but on the HP site I can only find a Bios update that thinks I'm using my pavillion dv7. When I click on the Bios exe I don't come to an option that allows me to install the latest Bios on a flash drive on another computer, it just tells me to proceed to install thinking I'm using the Pavillion dv7?

Where can I get the files I need to put on a flash drive on another PC? The Pavillion dv7 is using windows 7 64bit
    Thanks!
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:24:13 PM by Frankie »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Pavillion dv7 need to create Bios on a flash drive
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
    You will wind up with a nice boat anchor if you use the wrong BIOS flash...which to me sounds like what you are attempting...

when it's the Pavilion that has a corrupt Bios preventing me getting into it.

This needs clarification BTW....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
      You will wind up with a nice boat anchor if you use the wrong BIOS flash...which to me sounds like what you are attempting...

This needs clarification BTW....

Thanks for the input but why do you think I'm using the wrong Bios update? I've followed this guide but when it get's to the bit where it's supposed to give you the option to "Create Recovery Flash drive." Well that option doesn't appear. Here take a look at the video this is what I've done. Step 3: Create a BIOS recovery flash drive! Also, the light flashes are indicating it's a corrupt Bios. I reseated the memory hard drive just in-case etc.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833#AbT1

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
      Not gonna watch a vid...there's no reason it won't DLoad proper on any PC...much less a ny Pavilion.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:14:32 PM »
        Not gonna watch a vid...there's no reason it won't DLoad proper on any PC...much less a ny Pavilion.

So you think I have the wrong Bios? I put in the product code, so I doubt it could be the wrong version unless the HP website is wrong. The product code tells me it is the right Bios, the video show me what is supposed to be the right steps, but that is where it goes wrong. Maybe someone else can help, but thanks!

BTW: it does DL it's just when I click on the Bios exe it doesn't give me an option to install the files to a Flash Drive like it's supposed to and shows this in the video. It just asks me if I'm all set to install it on the pavillion dv7 when I'm on a different PC. Here's the vid if anyone else can help. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3S3KgcT-Ao&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=HPComputingSupport

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
        Thats the issue right there...you don't clik the .exe to copy it to a flash drive...just copy it to the drive.
        Then when moved to the troubled PC you clik it...
        I just pray its the correct Bios Flash

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »
        I actually work on someone's DV7 (AMD A6) from time to time.  I have a ProBook, myself.
        HP's BIOS upgrading is accomplished by writing the files to special partition (HP_Tools).  The updated files are stored there: current, new, previous.  Latest version don't allow flashing previous versions.  It does a check to see if the new version is compatible with the flash chip, but not if it is compatible with the model number.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
        The tool is used to create a recovery Flash Drive to recover another computer. It can be used on an affected system to save or restore a BIOS file but that is done after booting from within windows, so only works with a functional BIOS for performing standard updates, not recovery. If the system is putting out diagnostic LEDs then I think it's safe to say it does not boot properly into Windows. (Though that may call into question whether the boot-time recovery button sequence in the instructions will work, either...)

Specifically which model of Pavilion do you have? There are several dozen "Pavilion dv7" models. ranging from Pavilion dv7-1000 to Pavilion dv7-7200.

The instructions are written for the later models. The earlier options are restricted or just awful- The earliest options provide a shoddily constructed BIOS update utility that performs no system checks beforehand- it attempted to flash my BIOS, for example, which failed because I had turned off the ability to write to the BIOS from within the operating system, and subsequently crashed the program. But the update files for the latest dv7-7200 have a "Create Recovery USB Flash Drive" option as shown.

If the one for the specific system you have doesn't offer the option then the option is not supported by your system. If the BIOS file is corrupted there may be an alternative approach possible but it is also possible that there is no way to recover it without actually replacing the chip itself.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:45:33 AM »
          @BC_Programmer - I've looked everywhere on the Laptop and I can't see anything that says it's a dv7-1000 or a dv7-7200 etc. All I can see if it helps is that it's a dv7, Premium Vision, AMD, Windows 7. Model dv7 3112sa.  The error code which is to blinking lights flashing twice indicates the Bios is corrupt.

I know you are suppose to hold down the windows key and the B key on your dv7 once you have the right files on the flash drive, but this Bios file I have is just a Bios exe file. Do I just copy the exe file to the flash drive or do I extract the Bios exe file to the flash drive to get the files on it? Thank you all for the input

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 04:26:51 AM »
          Model dv7 3112sa

OK, it's a dv9-3100 series. "HP Pavilion dv7-3100 Entertainment Notebook PC series" In their listings.

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything particularly useful whatsoever- you aren't missing anything here, if that was your original thinking. All the documents refer to using a "BIOS File" but the instructions they give don't give you a BIOS file when applied to those earlier models, they give you that shoddily constructed BIOS update program, which would only be any good when running it under Windows on the system itself.

Now, I presume that the exe file wouldn't work if saved to the flash drive and following the procedure but, at this point, maybe it's worth a shot if you haven't tried.

I found This related document which just points back at the document you referenced about finding the BIOS file (which is useless for the stated reasons, as you also found).

I presumed that, perhaps the BIOS file was inside that silly "insyde BIOS" utility- which would make sense, as it must be in there somehow. But it's not present as a resource, and the best part is for some ridiculous reason the file is actually packed with some kind of EXE encryptor, because heaven forbid somebody actually get the file they need.

So, I have no idea how to find this fabled "BIN" HP speaks of that is needed to update the BIOS but which HP has evidently not seen fit to actually provide users. A few searches found a number of other people in the same boat. HP support seemed to happily link to the very same document but never in the threads I've found actually addressed the complaint that there was no .BIN BIOS flash data to use.

I presume you've already tried running the recovery? Unless the drive has been repartitioned or you deleted it it should be able to recover from the recovery partition information.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
            @BBC_Programmer. Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. This is my girlfriends PC and no partitions have been deleted or anything on the Hard-drive, so the recovery would still be on the hard drive. What would I need to do or get hold of to see if I can recover it? There is just a blank screen when I switch it on with to lights that blink two times.

On booting the PC, I've tried pressing the Windows key & B to see if anything happens on the screen because that's supposed to show a Bios update screen, but it doesn't do anything. I've also tried pressing esc key, delete key, F1 & F2 keys just to get a Bios screen or any other screen, but still nothing displays on screen. Also tried plugging it into a monitor, but nothings displaying on another monitor. Thanks again!
            « Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:04:40 PM by Frankie »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »
            HP BIOS updates are EXE files.
            https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv7-3100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/4074368

HP Pavilion dv7-3100 Entertainment Notebook PC series    HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)
            sp50586.exe
            Download this file & double-click to install.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 06:40:29 PM »
            https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv7-3100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/4074368

HP Pavilion dv7-3100 Entertainment Notebook PC series    HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)
            sp50586.exe

He was double clickin iy on a different Pavilion attempting to move it to a flash drive for the other PC...hence the results

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 08:35:07 PM »
            He was double clickin iy on a different Pavilion attempting to move it to a flash drive for the other PC...hence the results

He was trying ot follow the Instructions on HP's page, which instruct the user, to run the executable on another PC and select a BIOS Flash option.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »

sp50586.exe

@Computer_Commando. Thanks, but I was left with the same option for that Bios file. It thinks I am using the Pavilion and gives me no option to place the files on the flash drive, it just wants to flash the bios on the PC I'm on which is my desktop PC. Is there no way for me to reset the Bios without been able to see the Bios screen on these HP laptops? I can reset my Bios on my desktop PC by just pressing a button on my mainboard? Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 12:09:05 AM »
              Have you tried the Windows Key+B or V options that are outlined in the HP Document(s) while the affected system is starting up? A good BIOS image would be on the recovery partition of the system which the emergency BIOS flash software that is activated that way would attempt to recover from.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
              • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                « Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 03:44:16 AM »
                Have you tried the Windows Key+B or V options that are outlined in the HP Document(s) while the affected system is starting up? A good BIOS image would be on the recovery partition of the system which the emergency BIOS flash software that is activated that way would attempt to recover from.

I have tried that but instead of it booting a bios screen or updating like it's supposed to, it just shuts down my PC after beeping a few times. It goes on to say that if it shutsdown then it's because I held the power button longer the 2 to 3 seconds, but I've tried it like 30 times now and it just shuts the PC down holding these keys. I have released the keys when I hear the beeping, but it just goes back to the flashing leds again and nothing happens. Windows Key and V does nothing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:15 AM »
                You hold the Power button and Windows Key+B for a few seconds, then release the power button and continue holding Windows Key+B until it gets to the emergency recovery screen.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
                @Computer_Commando. Thanks, but I was left with the same option for that Bios file. It thinks I am using the Pavilion and gives me no option to place the files on the flash drive, it just wants to flash the bios on the PC I'm on which is my desktop PC. Is there no way for me to reset the Bios without been able to see the Bios screen on these HP laptops? I can reset my Bios on my desktop PC by just pressing a button on my mainboard? Thanks
                None of this makes any sense to me.
                Follow these steps:
                1.  Download the file to any computer.
                2.  Copy the file to a flash drive.
                3.  Put the flash drive in the Pavilion.
                4.  Double-click the file on the flash drive.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
                They want to update the BIOS on the Pavilion system because it does not boot and the diagnostic code indicates a corrupted BIOS. Saving an EXE file to a flash drive and running it on the affected computer isn't an option considering it won't boot.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »
                How far does it get on boot...does it even get to the BIOS ? ?

When some users say it won't boot they mean it won't load the OS...

Try re-booting and pressing the key to enter Setup/BIOS...

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                  « Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
                  How far does it get on boot...does it even get to the BIOS ? ?

When some users say it won't boot they mean it won't load the OS...

Try re-booting and pressing the key to enter Setup/BIOS...

It won't even make it to the Bios screen screen after pressing the key I think starts the Bios screen. I have tried a number of keys, but just to be certain what key does this pavillion dv7 use? I can seem to find the info even for the correct Bios screen key. I'be tried delete key, F1, F2, Windows + B? Thanks!

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
                  It's Escape...then F10 from the menu...have to do it immediately on powerup.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  « Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »
                  Perform Steps 2 & 3 on a working computer.
                  Perform Step 4 on the dead computer.
                  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 12:41:41 AM »
                  My understanding is they started this topic because they cannot perform steps 2 and 3 on a working computer, because the BIOS downloads provided for their model of HP Pavilion do not have the interface that is presented in that tutorial and don't provide the capability to create any sort of BIOS recovery USB Drive. I checked it out for myself and this was the case- I found no way to create any sort of recovery Flash drive, it just crashed attempting to Flash *my* BIOS.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 07:20:11 AM »
                  What if he were to create a bootable USB stick and simply copy the file to it ? ?...Would that work ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
                  What if he were to create a bootable USB stick and simply copy the file to it ? ?...Would that work ?

"The file" is a Windows executable program, and the system in question from what has been illustrated doesn't get beyond the POST to boot from anything.

As far as I can tell, Either HP never supported any sort of emergency BIOS Recovery outside of the recovery partition on those earlier systems or they have since changed or removed the software offered for those older systems.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »
                  Got it...Thanx.

Wonder what a shop would charge for replacement...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  « Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »
                  Is what you're saying is that the "working computer" must also be an HP?
                  My ProBook 4530s is about the same age.  At least the CMOS battery is easily accessible.  The entire bottom comes off with 2 slide latches.

I looked at my BIOS executable file by opening with 7-zip.  I would try what patio suggests.  Unzip the contents to a bootable USB flash drive.

If he could remove the hard drive & copy the files to the proper partition, there's a chance it might work.  Have to know what files to copy & where to put them.  Upon power up, it would be as if you installed the update & it would flash the BIOS.
                  « Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:30:01 PM by Computer_Commando »