Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Crashes  (Read 3852 times)

Jokniserous

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Amnaj mnaj mnaj
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Computer Crashes
    « on: November 02, 2017, 03:46:11 AM »
    Hello there,

Here are my specs;

- Acer Laptop Aspire E15
    - Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
    - Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4210U CPU 1.70GHz
    - 6GB RAM

Lately, my computer has been crashing - A LOT.  Nearly everytime I turn it on, it crashes after like 2 minutes (sometimes when I'm not using it), no BSOD, no nothing, just that I can't see anything move - mouse (and trackpad) don't work, the keyboard doesn't work, etc.  Then, when I try turn it on again, it says 'Press any key to skip disk checking in 10(s)'.  After it does this it usually doesn't crash, but it's VERY annoying.

Please help,
    Jokniserous  ;)

P.S. I'm not a computer geek, so if you can explain the solution using simple terms, i'd appreciate ;p

Jokniserous

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Amnaj mnaj mnaj
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Computer Crashes
      « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »
      UPDATE: (FOR ANYONE THAT MAY BE EXPERIENCING THIS)

So, somehow I managed to figure this out on my own, although I'm no computer expert.  So, about a week ago I had dropped my laptop charger on the ground and after plugging it in, it made this awful burning noise when lit.  After like a day, it stopped doing this sound and therefore I kept on using it normally.

Now, going to my mobile phone (Huawei P8 lite), I have this charger (of an old Samsung Young) which is very broken, but still works, under the right conditions (trying to hold it properly so that it charges is soo annoying) and when I use this charger, my phone starts clicking the screen and random buttons on its own (which hints to me that the charger can really affect your device's performance).

So, therefore, I decided to try unplugging the charger from my laptop, and to my amazement, it did not crash :oI think that the charger had some electromagnetic interference with the power or something, I honestly dont know, so if someone can explain the reasoning behind this (so that I learn something new) I would really appreciate :D.

Thanks,
      Jokniserous

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »
      You are playing with fire using different chargers on devices they weren't made for...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
      If the laptop functions on battery, but not when using the AC Adapter, then it is may be an issue with internal components.

I'm not 100% on how the different components are related but I have a Satellite L300 that has similar issues- it will hang quite soon when the AC adapter is connected- but is able to charge through the AC Adapter and also functions correctly when running off the battery.

researching it in my case isolated the problem to a bank of capacitors which is apparently a well-known failure point for my model as well as many others. users were able to replace it and get everything working correctly. As I presume most laptops work with a similar design in how power is used for battery charging or powering the system, it may be the same. it seems that the components start failing and cause voltage fluctuations when the AC adapter is being used which results in the CPU itself halting. (The AC Adapter is fine based on my multimeter measurements)

It would be difficult to truly isolate this as the cause of the problem in your case, but it's similarity to one of my system's ailments that i had isolated seemed worth mentioning. Either way, it sounds like something that would certainly require an expert to look into.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.