Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Would you Build this PC?  (Read 2609 times)

Chaser

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    How Would you Build this PC?
    « on: October 20, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »
    My laptops getting old and so are my kid's computers (Most of them are out of the house)

I’ve decided to build this pc that sits in the basement and I don't have to tend to it very often.
    I want to set this pc up so that my kids or myself can log into at any time. “I'll just call it an External computer”

The way I would like it to operate is:

We are still able to login to our old laptops but instead of using our old laptops memory, processes and hard drives we're about to use the newer higher powered external computer.

Log in to it somehow like VPN, Remote Desktop, Create a website for log in virtual pc. I'm never really had much luck with using a virtual pc or desktop, but that was a number of years back.

I've decided to build a pc with the parts below. I started out just looking to add an external hard drive but ended up trying some and I really need some input and guidance.

Base OS and Applications
    1.   Microsoft Office 356 Pro
    2.   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Can this be down?
    •   Will each user has their own profile?
    •   Will I need to buy additional operating systems?
    •   Sharing software?
    •   Should I partition the drive into 4 sections? At times, I like to remain anonymous

•   AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
    •   ARCTIC - Alpine 64 GT 25.6 CFM CPU Cooler
    •   Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    •   G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
    •   Seagate - Constellation ES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard
    •   Toshiba - X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    •   Gigabyte - GeForce GT 610 2GB Video Card
    •   Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case
    •   EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    •   Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    •   Asus - Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
    •   Intel - E1G42ETBLK PCI-Express x4 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Adapter
    •   Asus - USB-AC56 USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
    •   Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan
    •   Kingwin - FPX-001 Fan Controller
    •   CyberPower - AVRG750U UPS

1.   Microsoft Office 356 Pro
    2.   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

forgot the Thermal Paste. but I'll pick some up

What am I missing or need to add

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: How Would you Build this PC?
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
    by the looks of it, budget is not a concern.  :)

as to software, Windows and Office are licensed to the PC not to a user.
    so one copy of Win10 and one of Office, and all users will be happy.

as to what you are missing, I'd say a Solid State Drive.  Not sure why you have a 2TB and a 5TB mechanical drive for?
    I'd get a mobo with a m.2 SATA port and get a SSD that goes straight into that.

Chaser

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
      Thanks Mark for helping me put this project together

One drive was a really good price but I also wanted a 5 or 8

Any ideas of the best way for all of us to log into the base PC?
      Sounds like I got the basic software correct

the number of profiles including myself that will be at the home base, I have 4 others kids two in the same state as me and two 1000 miles away.  Keep coming with the software ideas. This is a big part and I can use everyone's ideas.

SSD, nice caught. I was assuming that would just be part of the hard drive. I'll look at getting the mobo with a m.2 SATA port and make sure the SSD that goes straight into it.

I bought the extra video card as backup. still, completely in the air with how this whole project is going to go, I sided with adding an updated video card. Hopefully, now that I decided to reach out for advice from more seasoned Tec's I can make this project work.
      So, for now, we're going to set the other video card off on the side and work with the on-board video

The second network adapter was an upgrade from the one on the motherboard. but if you don't think it's going to add much to what we'll be needing we can set that off to the said for now also

Logging 5 Laptops into One PC
      One Ring to Rule Them All

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
      each user of the PC would have their own logon account (profile) and all their stuff is kept in their C:\Users\ folder.
      yep, you can use VPN or Remote Desktop(RDP) or whatever, from the current laptops to access this new rig, but they would only benefit in using it's storage - not memory or grunt.

but if this connection method was going to be the mainstream maybe instead of Win10, you may want to investigate Win Server.
      but.... (more ideas)... if this new rig, as far as the other PC's are concerned, will only be used as a central storage device, why not get a NAS(Network Attached Storage) box.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:08:24 AM »
      You are very explicit about the hardware.
      If it is where you can not see it, Why does it matter what it has in it?
      If budget s not a major concern, then spend some money on some company and can help you get a system that meets your needs.
      Just maybe As us  or Gigabyte already have a deportment that does costume designs for people with special needs.
      Qustion:
      Do you need or want high-speed Internet? Do you have a fiber optic link where you olive?
      Do you have a 24 /7 UPS?
      If you system is over powered, might  you consider selling part of the bandwidth and storage to others who  need a VPN?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:29:32 AM »
      You would need it to be running a Server version, or only allow one laptop to use the system at a time, in order to prevent violation of the EULA. Consumer (Home and Pro) editions of Windows are only licensed for One user to use at a time. Office 365 is probably similar in some respect but being cloud-based I'm not sure how that works.

From the Windows 10 License Terms, 2. (c)(v):

The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(v). use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

and 2. (d)(v):

Remote Access: No more than once every 90 days, you may designate a single user who physically uses the licensed device as the licensed user. The licensed user may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies. Other users, at different times, may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies, but only on devices separately licensed to run the same or higher edition of this software.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 06:35:04 AM »
      If you were doing this then you would use RDP to connect to it more than likely and then a VPN for people out of the house.  That said, beyond the fun of setting this up, it seems like it would just be impractical compared to everyone having their own local machine.  You aren't going to get decent graphical performance if anyone wants to run games and doing anything like watching video is going to stress the machine and the network a fair bit.  This is going to be even more of an issue for the people who are located outside of the house as you'll be pretty limited by the internet connection.

As far as the software goes, you can't use Windows 10 as it'll only allow one remote desktop connection at a time.  You would need a copy of Windows Server (£600) and strictly speaking you'd also need the appropriate "Client Access Licences" for each user which would work out to be a further £600 for 5 users.  Office 365 is fine as long as each user has their own subscription.

While it is a fun project to set something like this up, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it and plan for everyone to use it, it just isn't that practical for regular family workloads.  I personally like experimenting with this sort of enterprise level networking stuff at home, however I keep it pretty separate from stuff that I actually need to do work!  Remote desktop systems like this are common in some business environments but those are usually for places like call centres and offices where staff only run a couple of pretty boring applications all day.  They do not work well when people start to do stuff like watch video or try to play games, even audio can be tricky.  You'll also run into silly problems like when someone wants to connect a USB device or use a webcam, this really doesn't work well with RDP systems.

My advice would be, if you want to do this so you can play with the technology and learn how it all works, grab an old PC or pick up a cheap used server and have a go.  It can be good fun!  However, I wouldn't recommend pushing people onto a system like this for their day to day workloads, you'll just end up having a nightmare trying to support the whole thing!